Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I survived sandy hook.
(06-05-2017, 03:33 PM)Sterling Brundick Wrote: David, how would the insurance boys look upon this "series racing" in the event of a claim?  Isn't the insurance coverage for "display and exibition" for the vintage kart events?

Actually that is a VERY complicated question.
it really depends on what the track has for insurance and that is something the "new promoters" should know and have been sure they got the right coverage.

When i did Sandy Hook they had excellent insurance (verified) but we weren't running a series just a vintage reunion with exhibition at speed. we did have trophies which is skirting racing i guess.
the series thing came last year and i bone headly didn't try to stop it then when it was suggested.
 in my defense i was trying to help three events salvage some seriously mis guided re-scheduling ideas and a small one off series seemed like it might work.
 at the same time i was just learning that i had "retired" from promoting cuddeback so i had little say in the matter.

But
Heres a sort of answer.
 there are way to many variables for me to much more than provide info and make a good guess.
i spend several weeks researching kart insurance when i had questions about it a couple of years ago.
Long story short i ended up getting a phone number and having something like a two hour chat with the WKA Track insurance agent.
he's a heck of a good guy and happy to help answer questions or be generally available.
he also writes the VKA officer liability insurance so he's deep in his knowledge of what we are doing.

First thing i learned the difference in cost for a 1,000,000 policy and a 6 million policy is pretty small.
So any track claiming "it costs alot more" for the high dollar policy should probably go with the WKA agent for pricing.
Second there should never be a time when the wristbands will have no number as they are your actual policy you are purchasing from the track.

But your question was would they cover us if we are found to be racing.
THAT IS DEBATABLE.
typically the insurance doesn't differencate between different styles of karts when they insure.
so in theory we should have no worries.

HOWEVER there is a clause in the policies that doesn't allow "fun Karts" to be participating on the track.
so it really becomes an issue if the insurance company defines a racing kart as only one that is current in safety equipment.
That was what Woodbridge Kart Club argued years and years ago when they insisted we add nerfs and pods to our Vintage karts if we wanted track time.
Alot of hard words were exchanged back then and some people still remember. Sad

I never got that "yard kart" clause clarified and about then my research caused a discussion which ultimately ended my promoting races at Cuddeback.
i did forward my concerns to the replacement promoter and he assured me the insurance was totally fine.

What Gary and i both have mentioned is that years ago the whole racing /live at speed demonstrations thing , was shall we say , STRONGLY discussed within the club and the forums.
While it's about even split between the race don't race guys there was an area of agreement.
Several different discussions had series racing suggested and generally it wasn't a wanted idea.
that was spit between many factors thje biggest one was we are just screwing around so getting obligated to attending races for points wasn't a desirable feature for vintage events.
the biggest issue of course is that we'd never be able to deny racing if we have a series which could get the insurance guys notice we are RACING with obsolete "unsafe" equipment and  THAT could tank us running on the tracks.

THAT WOULD SUCK it took nearly 15 years to get vintage karting the access many now consider normal.
WAY back in the early days before i was involved track access was a huge issue.
when i first started (somewhere around 04 or 05?) track access was practically non existent .
TBO was nearly the only Venue that was a regular event for karts.
even finding a parking lot where we weren't chased away was a problem.
What has been built since then is just amazing and i admit that i worry every year that it could go away in an instant.

My point about promoting the series is probably WHY?.
the tracks were already growing in attendees every year and we had momentum.
Anyway as i've said before it would be nice if SOMEBODY who is involved besides Scott K. would comment and perhaps put our worries to rest?
Dave L.

Messages In This Thread
I survived sandy hook. - by tom dandes - 06-02-2017, 02:29 PM
RE: I survived sandy hook. - by Gary Wlodarsky - 06-02-2017, 05:39 PM
RE: I survived sandy hook. - by tom dandes - 06-02-2017, 06:01 PM
RE: I survived sandy hook. - by David Luciani - 06-02-2017, 11:18 PM
RE: I survived sandy hook. - by steve miller - 06-03-2017, 06:05 AM
RE: I survived sandy hook. - by tom dandes - 06-03-2017, 06:49 AM
RE: I survived sandy hook. - by Al Postiglione - 06-11-2017, 08:46 PM
RE: I survived sandy hook. - by Bill Peck - 06-03-2017, 09:53 AM
RE: I survived sandy hook. - by David Luciani - 06-03-2017, 11:31 AM
RE: I survived sandy hook. - by tom dandes - 06-03-2017, 07:18 PM