Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I survived sandy hook.
Bill Peck/......

we have been trying to get that Straight Axle S/W class off the ground for a couple of yearas,,,and honestly I don;t get it..there are hundreds of them out there,, Hornet SS, Bug Stingers ,Big J Lancers , Meyers Lancers, Margay (???) they a super fun to drive,,same as a rear with a little more room for us taller guys....

the best part ,,there are actually a couple classes you can run them in...6..1 rear if not enough entries for a seperate class, the Straight Axle class,, and over 60 ...

Competitive,, don't worry about competitive,,worry about FUN....

gw
Track people were definitely strict at Sandy. Sam and I were the only sportsman rear and we were running with 6.1rear which is OK because we were just as fast but they also put in 2 sportsman sidewinders which I didn't like but our input didn't count on that one. Modern tires running with skinny tires don't mix well in my opinion.

Funny thing though, as strict as they were on safety, when Sam and I crashed on the 3rd heat and Sam was launched and flipped out of his kart, the EMT never even came over to check him out, during or after the accident. Sam still can't sleep on his hurt hip and can't lift worth a darn with the arm on that side either. He told the track worker he was OK but obviously he was not so they should have checked him and made a report. I'll never go back there, no matter how much fun that darn track is!!

My 2 cents.

Unfortunately, the Northeast Promotor's cup class structure puts straight axle sidewinders in the sidewinder class so you may as well put Bridgestones on them for these events if you are gonna run in the scored sidewinder classes.

I voted for including them with rears also but my vote didn't count on that one and I went along with the consensus so unless a bunch of straight axle sidewinders show up and want to run together in a non scored class we can do that like we did a few years ago.
Scott, I did not know you and Sam had tangled and he got hurt. I must of been so busy with all the gremlins on my kart that I was oblivious to everything around me. I'll say a prayer for his recovery.
I also agree on the tire change but he cheetah will remain vintage since it's just outclassed to run with the newer Karts. To bad because I really like the way it handles (when it ran). I'm now in the process of changing the Shark kart I have to run in the 6.1 class with modern tires and a K78.

(06-04-2017, 09:41 AM)Gary Wlodarsky Wrote: Bill Peck/......

we have been trying to get that Straight Axle S/W class off the ground for a couple of yearas,,,and honestly I  don;t get it..there are hundreds of them out there,, Hornet SS, Bug Stingers ,Big J Lancers , Meyers Lancers,  Margay (???)  they a super fun to drive,,same as a rear with a little more room for us taller guys....

the best part ,,there are actually a couple classes you can run them in...6..1 rear if not enough entries for a seperate class, the Straight Axle class,, and over 60  ...

Competitive,, don't worry about competitive,,worry about FUN....

gw
I agree, the straight axle Margays are especially easy to find and build. I guess people are just not interested because they are not rear and not real sidewinders.
I'm sad to hear you won't attend sandy hook anymore Scott K.
i understand your reasoning and agree there is a problem.
it seems nobody really knew who was promoting or running the event perhaps the guys in charge can comment??
the track owners in my experience are only as good as the information they are given.
Vintage is way different from normal modern kart racing and there are some things that have to be pointed out to track owners so the event runs smoothly and is SAFE.

the funny part is the first year when i promoted Sandy Hook the track owners were great but did need alot of advise mostly on how the event should be run,what karts should run together,how to start ythe grids,set up the classes the normal drill for newbes.
But they were on top of it after the questions were answered.

in fact i was shocked when i heard about some things that went on this year.
For those who don't know Sandy Hook Cuddeback and Orville are not anything i personally am involved in promotionally or in running.
it is being promoted and run by different people now.
i can't comment beyond that because i wasn't at sandy hook this year and will be skipping spring cuddeback  this year.
I do think the guys who are promoting and run the event should come onto the forum and explain the situation.
especial;ly what they will be doing to improve it for the next event.
addressing drivers concerns is key to making an event successful year after year.

i will pose one question.

Who the heck told the "promoters Cup' guys that mixing soft and hard tires is ok.
definitely not something VKA advises.

we went over this on the forums for YEARS and the final agreement was mixing hard and soft compounds on the track is UNSAFE.
there are plenty of drivers who may dis agree but we are dealing with skill levels all over the graph.
adding vintage karts that take turns differently to that mix is a big mistake.

when i was promoting cuddeback and sandy hook we didn't allow that to happen except in one class ,the duals , at cuddeback where the drivers were all great and agreed to be respectful.
still even talking about it before hand there was almost a wreck as ONE driver got aggressive and nearly caused a an incident.
After that i was not gonna allow any mixed compounds but "i retired from promoting" Dodgy  before that came to pass.

i was on the fence about going to cuddeback this spring but that tire info and other things i've heard has made up my mind.
sadly it seems the "new promoters cup people" have moved the event rules far away from what we typically expect at a VKA event.
so no Cuddeback for me though i am definitely going to Avon.
I am certain that Scotts event will remain the same great time despite it being part of this promoters cup series.

i'm getting off my soap box now
Cool

Save
Dave L.
(06-04-2017, 02:12 PM)Scott Kneisel Wrote: Track people were definitely strict at Sandy. Sam and I were the only sportsman rear and we were running with 6.1rear which is OK because we were just as fast but they also put in 2 sportsman sidewinders which I didn't like but our input didn't count on that one. Modern tires running with skinny tires don't mix well in my opinion.

Funny thing though, as strict as they were on safety, when Sam and I crashed on the 3rd heat and Sam was launched and flipped out of his kart, the EMT never even came over to check him out, during or after the accident. Sam still can't sleep on his hurt hip and can't lift worth a darn with the arm on that side either. He told the track worker he was OK but obviously he was not so they should have checked him and made a report. I'll never go back there, no matter how much fun that darn track is!!

My 2 cents.

Unfortunately, the Northeast Promotor's cup class structure puts straight axle sidewinders in the sidewinder class so you may as well put Bridgestones on them for these events if you are gonna run in the scored sidewinder classes.

I voted for including them with rears also but my vote didn't count on that one and I went along with the consensus so unless a bunch of straight axle sidewinders show up and want to run together in a non scored class we can do that like we did a few years ago.
Scott...yeah I heard about the mishap...my question is..is it on film,,only you will know what I mean...LOL

but..thats what happens when you have people run an event that don't know what the hell they are doing..you made the right call...modern tires, vintage tires do no mix,,period...why and the hell the VKA people didn't step in is beyond me????

I could say so much,,,but wont on here...

I personally do not like this 4 race thing going on,,,just me..

see you at Avon for a great run event

GW

gw
the series race thing was something i'd been against from the start.
Vintage Karting has no business running a series as it then converts a fun semi competitive event into racing for points.
that gets not fun right quick and theres plenty of that in modern if that is to your taste.

Last year, the new promoters calmly scheduled three races sandy hook - orville and cuddeback within a week of each other.
 When i was asked what they should do about the scheduling,in desperation, i suggested a series so every track would have a chance at getting attendees.

it was a terrible idea that was attempting to fix bad scheduling.

it never came off but the promoters like series races.
they have taken the East Coast events to run as their own and seem to be re inventing how they want vintage to be run
i was surprised to see Scotts event listed in the series but Scott has a good head and i know his event .
it will be well run and safe.
i doubt the series will survive past this year but i've been wrong before.
IMHO it's asking for trouble to promote a racing series in Vintage Karting .
as i said i am not involved n any of these events.

Teds Vintage Event at Thompson was alot more like events i would like to encourage.
a one day event simply for fun is pretty great.
it allows us to get out with the karts locally without the stress and expense a big event requires.
We alreasdy have a few full weekend events going so some singles seem like a good fit for in between.
in my best world we'd have a few fun days mixed in with a few three day events through the season.
it went so well there is another one already being planned..

Cool
Dave L.
Sam, sorry to hear that you still have some aches and pains from the tangle-up.  I'm hoping that you heal quickly!
Just a quick note on over 60 turnout at Bushnell and Barnesville.  Both tracks had pretty decent +60 and sportsman classes.  Geezers clearly understand that warm weather in winter and early spring are worth traveling for.
Yeah the attitude of the track people was completely opposite of the last event we had there!
Tom D, next trip consider 17 to 301 to 97 to 895 to 95. Check it out on a map, that will keep you away from DC traffic.
David, how would the insurance boys look upon this "series racing" in the event of a claim? Isn't the insurance coverage for "display and exibition" for the vintage kart events?