Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1962-3 Fox Flyweight
(05-31-2017, 08:12 AM)DEAN KANOCZ Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 09:21 PM)thomas kelley Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 10:56 AM)DEAN KANOCZ Wrote: It is a 1962.

i have a fox with a duel engine gearbox and twin 91's
tk

Would enjoy a few pics of your Fox TK?

Dean

(05-30-2017, 05:55 PM)Ron Cubel Wrote: Dean,  Its a 62 Fox Mac Kart the flyweight came out in July of 63 has an all alum floor pan, and swing mount plus other stuff....ron

Thank you Ron.
(05-30-2017, 05:55 PM)Ron Cubel Wrote: Dean,  Its a 62 Fox Mac Kart the flyweight came out in July of 63 has an all alum floor pan, and swing mount plus other stuff....ron

Ron:
      Fox always did things different. My Dad got me a 62 Fox Mak Kart ( flyweight ) in early 62, I ran it the entire 62 and 63 kart season. It had alum. floor pan, alum. swing mount and alum. axle. So to figure out if the kart is a 62 or 63 would be hard unless maybe someone had the buy slip.
Ernie
Dean

Some of the earliest 62 karts still had the all steel floor pan and swing mount, but had the aluminum axle as standard.
its a 61
when i bought it it already had the engine mounts cut off
i modified it to fit my a little. layed the seat tube back, new steering shaft, mover the pedals forward, new seat bucket

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

GEARBOX
(05-31-2017, 11:32 AM)larry brown Wrote: Dean

Some of the earliest 62 karts still had the all steel floor pan and swing mount, but had the aluminum axle as standard.

Thanks Larry. Steel swing mount and pan. Aluminum axle is gone. Probably changed when gear box was added.
Measurement from rear axle tube to seat back per Dick Teal's chart indicates 1962 model.

(05-31-2017, 09:35 PM)thomas kelley Wrote: its a 61
when i bought it it already had the engine mounts cut off
i modified it to fit my a little. layed the seat tube back, new steering shaft, mover the pedals forward, new seat bucket

Very nice Tk!
According to info I got from Dick Teal on how to know what year your a Fox Kart is:

1962 & 1963 Fox Mak-Kart (1 frame assembly)
1. The distin!uishing features are mounting tabs for swing mounts, see throu!h fuel tank, welded cross tube behind the fuel tank that the swing mounts bolt to, the throttle cross rod and 3 brackets are below the cross tube, painted steel bolt in front floor pan early then aluminum, splined steering shaft hub, 12" chrome and rubber grip steering wheel and the front spindle brackets have rounded ends.
2. The frame weldment measures 16" from the rear of the frame tube to the point where the seat hoop welds to the frame tube.

This doesn't really answer what they were called, but I know the '62/'63 I bought also had an aluminum axel and swing mount, was advertised as 100# (give or take) and was called a Fox Flyweight.
I have a 61 with rounded front spindle brackets , ribbed floor , single welded engine mount in the middle of the rear axle , cut that mount off . It started life as an " A Fly" , now has a Teal swingmount. I was toying with the notion of either making it an A Fly again or welding in a donor 61 fox dual rear welded engine mount frame section , but she does look pretty how it is now.
The 1962 and 63 model frames are the same. Another piece of information is that there was a bulletin sent to dealers on how to make a flyweight out of either model. I don't know if the production flyweight was produced in 62.  The bulletin is dated 1963.

I'm still in Florida recovering from a bad case of Staff infection so I can't get to my library to check magazines to see when they say it was produced.

Hope to be in Wisconsin by late this month but I won't be able to drive this year, hopefully next year.
Sorry to hear Dick .