Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the heck is this?
The big difference between the other contemporary circa-1960 karts, besides the square tubing, is the underslung seat, and the "raked" front frame tubes.

The views I provided don't emphasize this, but if you click on the photos and zoom in, ypu can see that clearly.  The as-purchased photo of the black kart shows this the best.

This is why I thought they might be n1ke karts - because of the underslung seat.

Terry Ives was certain these were SAE karts when he first saw one - but Jerry Solt confirmed that he never made a kart like this at all.
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Since the posting on the kart Paul wanted to know about has expired.....it probably doesn't matter much, but
the original chassis looks like an original kit Go Kart that was hacked up over the years .

When Duffy sold his GP Muffler kart kits in the late 50's ( 56to 59 ) the very first had a straight front axle, the next generation they dropped the axle down .

So to get extra leg room someone just changed the steering, added some round bar from the seat to the side rails, plus
altered the brakes to fun cart style.

Even the motor plates are redone  ...but it still has an early 60's seat back tank attached, the original steering wheel was cut off and that late 70-80's wheel was added.......I feel the bones are GP Muffler or pre Go Kart Mfg.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Randy.
Good analysis. I can definitely see the similarities. Thanks for taking the time. PF