Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's wrong with the Rupp J karts?
It seems that there isn't a whole lot of chatter concerning the J series karts. I was just wondering why. Were they out of date, slow, illegal, or dangerous? I like the look of the sprints with the knock off wheels, but I never see anyone restoring those at all. Just curious...
as i understand it they weren't the best kart rupp ever made.
production numbers were low and many of the parts were made only for j karts.
so restoration of one missing parts would be time consuming and expensive since you pretty much have to buy the part when you find it or you may never find another.
Cool
Dave L.
That makes sense. Too bad, but I guess that they are kind of rare because of that which would explain the lack of photos or restorations.
I had one in 1969. Yes, they were really good looking, but they didn't turn well at all. I don't know why - maybe that independent front axle?
Blaine,
You have a sharp looking kart.  If it has an independent front axle, I'd like to see some photos.  I love the design of the Dart, but they're everywhere; I think every vintage kart guy has at least one.  Yours is a different story.

I'll bet that someone "skilled in the art" could play around with axle widths and spindle offsets, wheel widths, toe settings, etc. and make it handle well.

Doug
(05-16-2017, 09:47 PM)doug tenney Wrote: Blaine,
You have a sharp looking kart.  If it has an independent front axle, I'd like to see some photos.  I love the design of the Dart, but they're everywhere; I think every vintage kart guy has at least one.  Yours is a different story.

I'll bet that someone "skilled in the art" could play around with axle widths and spindle offsets, wheel widths, toe settings, etc. and make it handle dwell.

Doug

from what i heard they tried but it was a dog.
by freeing front axle the whole frame being the suspension goes out the window.
Dave L.
Given that modern karts use caster to jack the inside rear wheel to 3-wheel through the turns, having a front axle that can rotate relative to the rest of the frame would eliminate the ability to lift the inside rear wheel and make it hard to turn.
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
""didn't turn well at all"" understatement of the year......I remember when I got back into karting in the late 60s...everyone said stay away as far away as possible,,,so I bought a Big J Lancer instead,,,,a buddy of mine bought a J ,,because the were basically giving them away like 10cents on the dollar...JUNK handling but neat as heck for appearance...

I just sent one out to Cali for a friend,,bout a year ago,,,again dang near gave it away,,

gw
Weird that with the racing heritage that they had they didn't test that series a little and discover that themselves. A lot of good information here. Thanks guys!

Maybe someday I will see one in person. OR if someone has one I would love some photos!
I'd take that kart and clip the very front and weld in a new axle. to heck with being period correct. I'd always rather have a kart that works on the track than one that is correct but handles like junk. Anything can be fixed.