Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Save those Clinton's D-35
Thanks to Terry Sullivan I know have a step crank for the D-35 clinton which is a real beautiful crank and was a challenge for making the clutch.  Tried to convince Chris Marchand he should go INBOARD because that was easy to make and I could get down to a 10 tooth sprocket on the 5/8 portion but it would not line up with his rear sprocket. 

Terry came through by donating the $10,000 solid g0ld crankshaft that was given to him by Don Thomas (founder of Clinton) when Clinton made its 1,000,000 D-35 chain saw. This just goes to prove how long Terry has been involved with 2 cycle engines and to let Ted know why my clutches are expensive.  It is the security I have to hire to protect these valuable cranks given to me by some of the greatest karters in vintage.  

I would show you a picture of the crank but my insurance company warned me it could effect my renewal.  The steps are .787 stepping down to .625 and then stepping down to .500 that small step has the 5/32 woodruff key and then it is threaded 7/16 fine thread. 

With that said, I thought I could possibly run for president when Donald's 8 year term is up.
Thanks Jim for working thru all the issues to develop that outboard clutch.

Just shows us Old Cranks need to hang together , ha ha ha .
C'mon, Jim. You know as well as I do that I know darn well why your clutches cost as much as they do! I am not complaining about the cost and never will. I have had several folks ask me why the clutches cost what they do, and I always tell them to go right ahead and waste their money buying cheaper units. After doing this two or three times, and not being able to get service on the cheapies, they always end up buying the Max Torque I recommended in the first place! Thru absolutely no fault of Jim's West Bend clutch, but plenty of fault of mine, I roasted the lining off of my clutch at Fremont a couple years ago. I sent it back to Jim, and in less than two weeks from the day I sent it, it was back in my hands looking like new again. Between his service, and his cooking, we karters are real happy to pay the cost of the Max Torque.
As soon as I can sell the jewelry Mom left me when she passed, I need to get another clutch for the new 610! Big Grin Ted
Jim D.,

You are a prince!
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
(05-12-2017, 09:25 AM)Jim Donovan Wrote: With that said, I thought I could possibly run for president when Donald's 8 year term is up.

Jim I like the way you think. If I ever meet you in person the beer is on me.
" Jim D"......Working hard at a Vintage Kart Event ...near you !

So what was the answer to the question of to why Max Torque clutches cost what they do ?

Answer......this is the USA, we have a different standard of what things cost and how they should be manufactured then say those made in Asia.....where workers mass produce items without much quality control.....to export cheaply !

If truth be known.....these exported parts or "goods" ??? probably are not sold to be used in their country of origin....
it's the sellers here in the USA that pawn this stuff off as products that should get the credit for higher prices on products actually made by those living and working in our country .

Back to supply and demand .......it's all relative to how you use it......if you race ...buy products that work and can be serviced .

We're all guilty of wanting it all, low price and high quality, including service ......and in the cycle of business the winners have to meet that compromise......as has been said....your choice of what to purchase and use .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

James,

I think we need to change your medication Smile

t