Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rupp dart 1/2 steering shaft help
Hi everyone I have another question. My dart kart has a 1/2 steering shaft and do I have to changed that in order to race it at vka and the big one.  How would you do that ,and does anyone have the 5/8 shaft.
(05-09-2017, 07:15 PM)Mel Ruffner Wrote: Hi everyone I have another question. My dart kart has a 1/2 steering shaft and do I have to changed that in order to race it at vka and the big one.  How would you do that ,and does anyone have the 5/8 shaft.

Azusa Engineering makes a steering shaft kit that has been in production since 1959 and most kart manufactures used one time or another. Several retail outlets sell it. Some stores sell them on Ebay too.

Someone here will know if you need to change out the top and bottom steering mounts on frame. Some karts can just have them drilled out, others need new tubes welded.
VKA has two tiers: Tier 1 - racing for score and awards. Tier 2: Demonstration runs

The TBO: Demonstration runs, no races held.

I just pulled this off the VKA guidelines...

The visual is one of two items that show the concern of the 1/2" shaft...

The second area of concern is the bend in the shaft at the other end--cracks.
i have 2 karts with 1/2 steering shafts
im hoping to just do some laps in demonstration only
i cant change the shaft due to destroying originality
tk
GEARBOX

(05-09-2017, 07:15 PM)Mel Ruffner Wrote: Hi everyone I have another question. My dart kart has a 1/2 steering shaft and do I have to changed that in order to race it at vka and the big one.  How would you do that ,and does anyone have the 5/8 shaft.

Hi Mel,

I have just cut my 1/2" bushings off so I can weld on new ones.  Will be upgrading to the 5/8" shaft.  I don't do many VKA meets, but I do the Big One and any of the smaller practice days around my area.

Bob Alexander
I was just asking someone this tonight and they also said Asusa. They offer different lengths of shafts in kit form.

Bottoms needs to be welded I believe. The hub is universal and can be used for several different steering wheels. Three holes match Azusa wheels and the other 3 match Rupp steering wheels that I noticed.

http://azusaparts.com/Category.aspx?catI...ubCatID=39
Mel,
The Big One (TBO) has its own website and forum, http://rearenginekarts.com/, so you can post your question there.  I've never seen an original kart in sound condition get turned away, so my guess is that you'll be fine.  Bear in mind, there is no actual racing at TBO, but you'll get as much track time as you can stand, and you'll have many chances to dice it up with other karts from that era.
Upgrading the steering shaft would require cutting off the sleeves at the top and bottom and welding on larger ones.  Quick work for someone skilled in metal fabrication.  I think most guys would leave it alone, and mount a Mc6 or West Bend 580 and have fun.  Your call.
It seems like the rate of evolution was fairly rapid in the '59 - '61 time frame, so you might find that a '62 or newer chassis to be better suited to hard driving, e.g., with a Mc91X, pipe, racing clutch, etc.  No hard & fast rule, depends on many factors, and others on here are way more qualified than me to speak on that.  It also depends on how well you fit into the kart.  (Big guys don't fit well into Darts, especially the very early ones.)
But... when you tip them up against the wall, karts don't take up much space... and they tend to multiply... its an addiction.  Have a blast!

Doug
(05-09-2017, 09:00 PM)Romero Llamas Wrote: I was just asking someone this tonight and they also said Asusa. They offer different lengths of shafts in kit form.

Bottoms needs to be welded I believe. The hub is universal and can be used for several different steering wheels. Three holes match Azusa wheels and the other 3 match Rupp steering wheels that I noticed.

http://azusaparts.com/Category.aspx?catI...ubCatID=39

Correct.
(05-09-2017, 08:44 PM)thomas kelley Wrote: i have 2 karts with 1/2 steering shafts
im hoping to just do some laps in demonstration only
i cant change the shaft due to destroying originality
tk

From the VKA guidelines Thomas it is not required, but recommended (stated as should). Note: If it were stated as "shall" then it is required.

I hope this helps?
if you've ever had a 1/2 shaft break on you, like I have,,,you know the answer....

gw