Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with identification of 1" rear wheel hub
Good evening to all. I was hoping someone might recognize and be able to help identify the wheel hub pictured here and also if it originally came on the late 70's K&P Mfg Bug Wasp "Works" kart or if it maybe might have been added on afterwards. Thank you in advance for any help provided!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Been a long time since I've seen my old 75 Wasp, but I BELIEVE the hubs looked like this. I know for a fact they were a Tri-Star shaped hub. Ted
Looks like a margay 62 series hub
Gentlemen, thank you...

Steve, they do look like the Margay hubs, similar shape but different in detail and size.

Ted, I know you have extensive experience with Bug karts, I appreciate your input. I just need to find a matching one now, the other is of a different variety. Any chance someone knows of a source for Bug parts?? I would be interested in the matching front hubs and a good, straight steering shaft.

Thanks, as always, for all the great help here...
not a 62 series hub...they look like a 3 arm chines throwing star lol
that is a bug gear hub
tk
GEARBOX
I have 2 different designs that work on the 62 series hub.  One of them is like yours.
(05-08-2017, 06:56 PM)Vince Rosanelli Wrote: Good evening to all. I was hoping someone might recognize and be able to help identify the wheel hub pictured here and also if it originally came on the late 70's K&P Mfg Bug Wasp "Works" kart or if it maybe might have been added on afterwards. Thank you in advance for any help provided!

Bug Trophy style hub. It shares the same bolt pattern as Hartman, and one set of holes on Margay.

Margay 62 series has two different bolt patterns on their wheels.

On a Margay wheel half, you will notice the letters MH stamped on one set of bolt holes. You line this up the same as other half and use these holes on a Margay hub. (MH)

IIRC Trophy(Bug) and Hartman are exactly the same bolt pattern. Invader is smaller like Margay. Margay uses this smaller pattern for their hubs, but also has the larger one on other set of bolt holes.

You can use Margay wheels on the other hubs, choosing the correct set of holes, but only Margay wheels fit Margay hubs, since they are larger and made to fit tightly inside the wheel itself.

Someone can correct me if I got this mixed up.
I cannot help with finding a hub. We had a couple extra Black Widow hubs, but they're different, and I doubt Charlie could even find one of those in his stash after all these years. He switched my old BW to spool wheels years ago. TJ
(05-08-2017, 06:56 PM)Vince Rosanelli Wrote: Good evening to all. I was hoping someone might recognize and be able to help identify the wheel hub pictured here and also if it originally came on the late 70's K&P Mfg Bug Wasp "Works" kart or if it maybe might have been added on afterwards. Thank you in advance for any help provided!

To answer the original inquiry. Yes it is correct for the Bug Wasp. Also used on Black Widow. Newer models came with 11/4" axle and later models came with spools as Ted mentioned.

The front hubs on that kart may still have the 3/4" spindles and also a smaller bolt pattern with 1/4" bolts, unique to Bug and similar to VanK.
Gentlemen, thanks again for all the great feedback.
Ted, thank you for your help nonetheless. I believe the gentleman Charlie you spoke of is the pilot, correct? If so, he bought an NOS Carlisle double Indian head tire from me several months ago (the correct one, lol, with the directional arrow). He was most gracious and an absolute top notch guy to deal with. Please pass along my regards and hopes that his kart restoration is coming along well. Please keep me in mind should he ever to happen across a match for the hub, I would buy it.

Terry, thanks for all the detailed information. I'm confident the rear wheels on the kart are the original Trophy wheels and the hub pictured above fits the wheel as intended in function and design.

Rod Van Deusen was most informative and very helpful in identifying the kart features by model year. As a result, I believe it to be a 1977 Wasp "Works" model with incorrect front wheels and hubs. The front spindles are 5/8". Now that I know the hub pictured above is correct, I'll know to look for a match to that one versus the other. Thanks to all for your input...