Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank you, George
This is to say a BIG "Thank you!" to George Sellon. He sent me a set of four VERY nice original CT Alloy wheels for the new Photon. I will lightly bead blast them, paint them the original g0ld, add new bearings and tires, and will have a super set of wheels for the kart. The V.K. community in general, and George in particular, show what the sport is all about. Thank you again! Ted Big Grin
Woo Hoo!!!!
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Question: I am NOT a connoisseur of rattle-can paint, but I have tentatively decided to paint the aluminum CT wheels g0ld instead of waiting weeks to get them powder coated. Originally, CT wheels were bright g0ld, and I'd like to get close to that. Does ANYONE make a rattle-can paint that won't scratch off with a fingernail? I painted the n1ke wheels Dupli color Universal g0ld over a self-etching primer, with a Dupli color clear coat. I baked all the coats gently, and the crappy paint still comes off very easily. They're magnesium, but were primed immediately after bead blasting. Maybe these, being aluminum, will hold paint a bit better, but even the VHT rattle-can epoxy scratches off far too easily. Any thoughts? Thanks! Ted
(04-22-2017, 05:49 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Question: I am NOT a connoisseur of rattle-can paint, but I have tentatively decided to paint the aluminum CT wheels g0ld instead of waiting weeks to get them powder coated. Originally, CT wheels were bright g0ld, and I'd like to get close to that. Does ANYONE make a rattle-can paint that won't scratch off with a fingernail? I painted the n1ke wheels Dupli color Universal g0ld over a self-etching primer, with a Dupli color clear coat. I baked all the coats gently, and the crappy paint still comes off very easily. They're magnesium, but were primed immediately after bead blasting. Maybe these, being aluminum, will hold paint a bit better, but even the VHT rattle-can epoxy scratches off far too easily. Any thoughts? Thanks! Ted

Ted, talk to a automotive paint distributor that sell primers and paints to body shops. Preparation and using the right materials should have held up. The primer you used was likely not a good match for the magnesium and paint selected. Select a primer, recommended cleaning solvent and then paint (from the same primer maker).
Scott, the self-etch primer was from the paint manufacturer. I also have used the VHT paint with indifferent results. I'm pretty good at prep, as I was married for several years to a body shop owner's daughter, and spent many a weekend in the shop working at prep and as a general dogsbody. The pre-EPA rattle can stuff was very tough. I used to have no hesitation in painting helmets and even kart frames with name brand rattle can paints. That was then, and this is now... TJ
Ted, you need a zinc chromate primate for aluminum.
Thanks, Walter. I have Zinc chromate on hand for Al. Ted
For off the shelf rattle can I like rustoleum appliance epoxy. Colors are limited though. Aside from that I would get an autobody supply place to put something custom mixed in a rattle can for you. More and more are selling that product.
Thanks, Bill. Small pickin's in Casa Grande, but I will ask. I want something close to the very bright g0ld that CT used in the day, and darned if I'll travel to Phoenix! Ted