Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Information Update
Information 
I want to let everyone know that the forum is now more secure.

This is because the server is now using what is known as a SSL certificate. A fancy term that allows your computer to know that the site you are on is the site it claims to be.

Why do you care?
Because with this certificate the information that your internet provider can see is approximately none now. Before they could see the information you sent and received from the forum. Now all they can see is the web address of the forum.
This makes no practical difference in that respect but it makes your login and password more secure from attack.

Why did I write this up?
I have a long break between my classes today and felt like rambling on. 

If you have any questions just let me know. I am glad that the forum is seeing the use and growth that it is.

Use the more secure page at:
https://www.vintagekartforum.com
I still get the message "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources" message. Can you enlighten me to what that is about? It is nice seeing the https!
I actually had missed that error at first. What it was is one of the fonts on the forum is from google and not stored on the forum itself and the link was not using a secure link. Have that updated and all is well. For now at least.
Very cool.
that was a mod i've been meaning to mention ever since firefox did a new update .
since then it bugs me that the forum is unsecure.
personally i didn't care about the insecure part as i know way too much about the net and exactly how careless the big guns are with our info.
a tiny forum like this isn't even worth a decent hackers notice unlerss it provided a stepping stone to somewhere else.

In case you guys don't know it BRIAN S. is da man that keeps everything running smooth.
 he's a little too busy to post much but man you'd notice if he slacked off on his job in the backround.
what he didn't mention was he also constantly updates the forum software AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE.
there's very little lag in his updates and that's because he's busy in school and a job.
why is this important? simply because without regular updates the forum program gets buggy then crashes. Sad

The forum "live server copy" is also saved weekly so even if the server DESTROYS our software we have a copy.
Actually two or maybe three at different locations , Brian tends to get all governmenty when it comes to preserving the info no matter what.
In fact we are exploring adding a second server or perhaps increasing the capacity of the one we use i get glazed eye when brian explains what's next sometimes!!

anyway a big THANK YOU BRIAN S. for keeping the operation smooth and the rubber side down.
Cool
Save
Save
Dave L.
Brian is doing us all a great job, and I, for one, thank him. I may be a pretty decent mechanic, and an even better design engineer, but I have little knowledge or interest when it comes to computers. The forums are as close as I will ever get to being "social" on line. Keep up the good work, Brian! Ted
Thanks! I do what I can for our little hobby when I can. Just keep posting and it will be a good trade!
Thanks Brian. It means a lot. We would hate to lose all of the information that is put in to this resource. It's too bad the other forum went down....
(04-13-2017, 09:46 AM)Blaine Krugerud Wrote: Thanks Brian. It means a lot. We would hate to lose all of the information that is put in to this resource. It's too bad the other forum went down....

Don't forget, Brian has made a backed-up copy (static, not searchable) of the old form available on this "Vintage Karting America" forum. The tab near the top of the homepage. Once within a particular topic form page, you can do column sorts by clicking on the column title. This may help with your search to find what you are looking for.

http://www.briansantee.com/vintage/www.v...index.html

Where to find the "old vintage kart forum" on this site's homepage...

Here is the column header sort trick I mentioned...

Thanks Brian. It has got to take a bunch of time to do what you do for this site and it's members. I don't know how you do it with a job and school. Can't leave too much time for goofing off. I'm sure everyone appreciates what you do for us. Also Dave L. You guys are appreciated and all you do for karting.

John P