Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Question??
Hey all, I have a question that's been eating at me for a while. I  am curious as when you need to resize the piston in the block instead of resizing the rings? Example, say you have a factory bore on the cylinder and over time it needs new oversized rings. How many ring sizes can you go before you need an over sized piston? Might be a dumb question to most but I am not a experienced engine builder or machinist. Thanks, Dean
(04-09-2017, 07:28 PM)You resize the piston when the skirt to bore clearance goes out of spec. Some engines wear quickly and some hardly wear at all. Depends on the material they are made of to a large degree.Cast bores like McCulloch engines have will wear and need honing after as little as a few hours of running depending on the loads, heat and oil selection. Other like the Nikasil lined West Bend 820s basically never need honing as the bore material is very had and will not wear. Ring wear is another issue that is highly dependent on the engine type and the materials used. For the McCulloch engines you can get rings that have a chrome edge that last a long time and you can also get tool steel rings that wear out faster but they seat in much quicker so virtually no break in time is needed.Best to ask the question regarding a specific engine type, model and how it will be used.Steve O\Hara Dean Richards Wrote: Hey all, I have a question that's been eating at me for a while. I  am curious as when you need to resize the piston in the block instead of resizing the rings? Example, say you have a factory bore on the cylinder and over time it needs new oversized rings. How many ring sizes can you go before you need an over sized piston? Might be a dumb question to most but I am not a experienced engine builder or machinist. Thanks, Dean