Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floor pans
I just got the bent-up floor pan cut off of my 63 Dart kart.  I want to cut a new pan, what are you using for thickness when you replace a pan?  I think my last one was 14GA, but that seemed a bit heavy.  Thanks...

Bob Alexander
Either 15 GA or 16 GA should do really well. TJ
16 ga would still be overkill. I did 16 ga. when I redid a Rupp but only because the lower rails were so screwed up and thin I needed to add strength. I'd consider some 18 ga.
I ended up buying mine from RobRon. It shipped flat so I had to get it bent in a break but it worked fine.
(04-10-2017, 04:40 PM)Blaine Krugerud Wrote: I ended up buying mine from RobRon. It shipped flat so I had to get it bent in a break but it worked fine.

I want to mention that this may be the best approach. The Dart kart pan has notches placed to accommodate the one piece pan to allow installation. This is located near the bend to allow the vertical pan section be placed on the driver's side of the vertical steel tube. 

This is the first place I look on a restored Rupp Mfg. Dart / Lancer kart. I have seen examples of poor notches and one kart with the seat-back pan on the vertical tube furthest away from the driver.

Some karts actually came with the pan on the outboard side of the seatback tube. The n1ke is one of these. TJ
(04-11-2017, 06:29 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Some karts actually came with the pan on the outboard side of the seatback tube. The n1ke is one of these. TJ

True! Actually (The reason I said Rupp Dart / "Lancer") that the 1962 and earlier Bob Jeffries built Lancers from Findlay, Ohio were constructed the same way as the NikeKart as you noted Ted. Lancer used a plywood board as a filler behind the upholstery.