Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gasket thickness
How much does it matter? I'm needing a couple of gasket kits, when I messaged a guy he asked what thickness I needed. I told him I didn't know and that I would ask around. I think the kit I was looking at was 1/32" thick but he could do any thickness. This is the kit.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In the case of the gaskets pictured, .031 (1/32") should be just fine. Anything thicker can cause parts to warp when tightened unevenly, anything thinner may not conform to some of the poorer gasket surfaces on aftermarket parts. The GEM V-12 manifold gasket surfaces aren't the best in the world. TJ
I lap my V12 parts to get them flat. Soak your gaskets in motor oil long enough to get all the little air pockets out.Watch all the the little air bubbles come out!
The oil on gaskets is an old trick that works. We squirt them with WD40. Ted
(03-08-2017, 08:46 AM)ted johnson Wrote: The oil on gaskets is an old trick that works. We squirt them with WD40. Ted

Ted, if you squirt the gaskets with WD-40, does the copper gasket spray stick to them?  Or do you only do the WD-40 on certain gaskets types, such as cork or a derivation of?
Sterling, I only use WD40 on the gaskets inside of the carb. The rest of the engine gaskets get the copper gasket spray. I have friends who only use WD40 and no copper spray. They seem to do well using their method. I use the copper spray. I don't copper spray head gaskets or copper exhaust gaskets, only ones made of gasket paper. Ted
Hi Aaron,

No matter what method or thickness you use, pressure test the engine when you have it assembled. Those darn little McCulloch engines will leak where you expect and where you would not expect. I rarely get one to hold air the first time.
Aaron,
were the gaskets I made you not correct? Please let me know. I am using only FelPro KarroPak material and can custom make whatever you need!