Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E 98
You won't find this many places but a truck race team in our area is sponsored by American Ethonal and runs E 98. I said E 98 not E 85. I contains 2% gas so you can't drink it. It gives the same performance as the methanol we use but you don't have to flush E 98. If you live in racing areas check around as someone may be using it in race cars. Dan Rienbold  tested it all year last season with excellent results. His lap times remained exactly the same.
you gotta have alky carb to run it ..??
Good info Steve W .

Check this out what Gulf has to say and where to find a dealer near you :

http://gulfracingfuels.com/gulf-e98-pump...t-compare/

Steve Miller.....E 98 is alky + 2% gasoline....so you would need bigger jetting to get enough fuel for the correct
air/fuel ratio .
(04-06-2017, 04:08 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: Good info Steve W .

Check this out what Gulf has to say and where to find a dealer near you :

http://gulfracingfuels.com/gulf-e98-pump...t-compare/

Steve Miller.....E 98 is alky + 2% gasoline....so you would need bigger jetting to get enough fuel for the correct
air/fuel ratio .

I would love to find someone who sells E98. I used E85 exclusively when it was available before the gas prices dropped. It was not as consistent as Methanol because of the changing gas content but it worked great with an alky carb and only required minor adjustments between batches. I always felt my engines performed better with ethanol and it is not as corrosive as Methanol but I still purged it each day because it does slightly react to Mag parts. E98 would be a perfect kart fuel in my opinion. One issue I had is it smells like booze, it really does and that bothered me a bit because of my aversion to it.  Currently I am even having trouble finding someone what sells Methanol around here. I may be scraping the bottom of Rich's kart shops barrel with year+ old stuff in order to get out in a couple weeks.
scott ., I know its prolly  sorta early but..   do you have any idea if and when you are going to run sunday vintage races ..
I have couple karts I wanna try out and I cant ever seem to make the weds.  rides ..
just curious ..

scott ..also maybe bob L. yourself and who ever could pitch in and buy a barrel keep it at avon ..???
at the dirt track I help out and race at just paid 165.00 tax included ..I could ask but I bet they would drop off a barrel (shorts oil )..??
To buy wholesale or become a dealer you have to purchase $2000 worth of product.....a bit much for a Vintage Event.

They do come in five gallon size containers, which is fine for our needs .

Most speed shops of any size can order VP Fuels, so you just have to find a source before you need it .

The closest Gulf dealer I found was a good 150 mile trip so much for that.....that's why I just run gasoline .
shorts oil in Wellsville anyone can buy a 55 gallon barrel ..?? ..they used to have 5 gallon buckets but now only 55 gal. barrels ..of regular methanol ..
im gonna ask about the E98
I just did a search on the VP website.  It looks this might be E98:  https://vpracingfuels.com/product/x98/

There's a VP dealer not too far from me in PA.  If this is the right stuff I can give them a call and see if they can get it.

I gotta call you out on this. Methanol is worse than ethanol, but still has the same problems. It absorbs water. All of my chainsaws, weedeaters, stump grinder, tractors, lawnmowers, Seadoos, ATV's, UTV's, Mopeds, barstools, etc all take a dump with just 10% ethanol in pump gas. If it stays in a vehicle over 6 months, breaks down so bad, the fuel pump locks up or injectors(carb jets) get gummed up. Yes the crap gas is a big factor, but ethanol makes it worse. Diaphragms dry out and crumble on Obama gas. I have one weedeater that is used about 10 months out of the year. It has been for the most part painless for the last 15 years. Everything else that sits more than 6 months goes to crap.

One of the local dirt tracks back in the mid 80's sold ethanol instead of methanol. I raced dirt(karts) at the time because of the money it paid. Yes enough to cover expenses and pay for beer and the restaurant visit for everyone after races. But the alcohol would cause white buildup and clog carburetors without exception, if left in motor for more than one week.

For all the years I raced, everything that ran bean oil got flushed out. Gars or alcohol. Didnt matter. When I ran gas I went to synthetic and when not a spec gas required, only ran Av gas. This stuff lasts forever and smells great when burned.

All of my dinosaur chainsaws, like the ones that David L is donating some old chain for all are on AV gas and so easy to tune and run great. I could go on and on and on blah blah blah, but think you get the message.

Dont know if pic is actually viewable, but this is one of my all original saws, a Super55A. It rocks, well once I got the carb figured out.
..ok kinda off subject but ... how come I have raced modern dirt oval with 4 strokes since late 80,s ..ran alky in every one never flushed one ever .. leave alky in it week in week out leave it all winter ..ill take anyone wants see it to my shop right now.. fire up my kart been settin since sept 2016 ..open mod Yamaha yfr200r1 with tillotson hl 348E