Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Azusa swing mounts
I used one of these some time back. It didnt work at all for the application. Just mounting a Briggs on an old Hornet S85 sprint chassis for a guys kids to play on. He was not interested in selling the kart or trading for a fun kart.

Anyway the bearing hanger is centered directly in between the slotted holes for engine to mount. Regardless of what gear I used or clutch sprocket it had, there was not enough forward or back adjustment to tighten chain. I guess using a half link then it might work. Even then it had very little range to adjust chain. Basically it moved forward or back with little effect.

With the chain short as possible there was three adjustments. All the way forward was too loose, centered was way too loose and all the way back was too loose. The only way I could make it work was to shim up the motor with washers. Not my idea of a good fix.

I have Rupp and Bug swing mounts that have hangers offset to one end and adjustment is perfect. If the motor mount used has vertical slotted adjustments or slotted like some Mac angle plates would work, but otherwise I found this mount to be useless.

Did I miss the boat here? Or the next time I need a cheap alternative swing mount, then will cut the hangers off and reweld with a couple inches of offset.
Terry, we found this out with the original GK 1200 mounts 55 years ago. We cut shims that spanned the width of the mount, and were about 1-1/2" front to back with open ended slots. A couple of these stacked would raise the engine enough to do the deed. They had enough area that the engine remained stable. Ted
before I switched mounts I cut plates like ted mentioned from 1/8 and 1/4 alum. flat plate with a u notch in the front and holes in the rear. Stack them up as needed.