Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West bend damage
Can someone tell me , can a scored West Bend cylinder with heavy scoring be repaired. I have a WB 700 5 port that came with my Simplex Challenger Mark II I purchase from the son of the original owner. When I tore the engine down, I found that the engine had been blown at sometime before it was parked for many years. It appears that rings and ring landing broke and a couple of the pieces damaged the piston and the cylinder. it being a 700 5 port I was hoping it might be repaired. Is there any hope?
Depends on how bad it's scored ?  Anything can be fixed but at what cost.

You may be able to just buy a used cylinder and rebuild using the scored engine for it's good parts.

If you can do the boring and honing yourself, find a piston big enough to bore over the scoring then go for it .

Or ask for help here....there are a few engine builders that could rebuild it but sending engines out don't come without
the costs of parts, labor and pricey shipping .  

This WB 700 sold for $1100 plus $35 shipping so fixing is worth it .

HARD TO FIND 700-5 PORT WEST BEND THAT WAS MADE FOR ONLY ONE YEAR 1961

Not sure what this one is for sale on ebay, but worth asking the seller about :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/West-Bend-ENGINE...2329403579

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

its worth getting nickiseled ..(sorry spelling)
they can fill pretty good grooves nowadays ,. im guessing 200-250.00
Contact Jeff Brown , he posts on here occasionally.
Here's a "Way Back" post from the old Vintage Kart's Forum that might be interesting on these old West Bends.

Steve Miller says the 700 is hard to come by and they came with chrome cyclinders....so that may be a problem !

http://www.briansantee.com/vintage/www.v...orum_id=20

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

you need to contact US Chrome in Wi. (get on their website) and see if they can redo a BLIND cyl. It won't be cheap. Let us know the outcome. It's not the same as a cyl that the head comes off of.
steve W.. t was told they will chrome it for around 100.00 but wont hone it to size for piston ..but that was last summer ..maybe times changed ..??
Ok, I'll contact US Chrome . Thanks guys.
(04-03-2017, 07:47 PM)Good2berrt66 Wrote: Ok, I'll contact US Chrome . Thanks guys.

they don't do blind cylinders as we were told last year.
i have several west bends that need minor rehab and was disappointed.
they are so rare that nobody seems capable of doing the work .
if you discover they've changed their mind i'll be wanting to know.
Cool
Dave L.