Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends or E-bay?
Can't seem to come to an answer about Bro's or Doh?

I was thinking about selling one of my Caretta's.

A friendly debate would help many of us understand the market for vintage items.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

dominic the first word in selling is location, location, location. since you can see Russia from your window your best option would be to go down to where they are filming "g0ld rush". i'm sure you could get parker to buy one of your karts. but for the rest of us who ever buys from you will have to expect to pay way more in shipping than those of us that live in the lower 48 states. i don't think friends has anything to do with ebay. and i'm not sure what you are trying to get out of this post. but i have a good friend who tells me all the time "my best friends are the ones i can fold up and put in my wallet".
It didn't break me having them shipped up. I use Carlile trucking to the Greyhound in Tacoma, it works in the other direction. 100lb. is no big deal.
When it comes to Caretta's friendship can be strained.
(04-01-2017, 09:26 PM)Dominic Salvato Wrote: It didn't break me having them shipped up. I use Carlile trucking to the Greyhound in Tacoma, it works in the other direction. 100lb. is no big deal.
When it comes to Caretta's friendship can be strained.
I have the same number plate as your Caretta.

I like Chucks comment the best tho. I will have to use that.

"my best friends are the ones i can fold up and put in my wallet"
In the real estate business we call this "seeking a free appraisal" LOL

Seriously, if you want to treat all your buddies fairly you list on ebay and let them all have a fair shot. Anything else means you have to pick the buyer and that means the rest of the interested parties will be disappointed.
Just my 2cents.
SteveO
Dom.....I wouldn't worry too much about hurting any feelings.  Post a fair price here and let those that really want a Caretta with side tanks say they are willing to make a deal .

Or as SteveO' suggests list it up and see what the market will bare on the auction site......you may find a buyer one way or the other.....or that the market is soft and the community is only parting with cash for good deals.

There's more great karts available now then there has been in the past, not inexpensive.....there's also a lot of items
being posted by sellers who are just trying to cash in on those of us that enjoy the old karts......items priced right sell,
the marginal parts will get buyers too if they are priced low enough to spend the time restoring them .

Many of us are at a point we don't want to own a collection, we just want what we are passionate about and are letting
go of the items that we don't want to store .......

I hope there are younger folks discovering the hobby, as the older guys down size.......then it will be a win win situation
for all ......!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I purchased a kart from Dom and was surprised at how inexpensive the cost was to get my Cates from Alaska to Texas. Dom helped me arrange shipping and made suggestions on ways to save some money. Thanks Dom
I've been assisted by too many guy's in vintage karting to think my only friends are what I fold in my wallet.
I'm speaking for myself of course.
The generosity of the majority of the guys vintage karting is rooted in the desire to see these karts up and running.
It's a great sport with great sportsman.
folding friends are fine but in a hobby breathing friends count for more at least to me.
but for guys who resell as part of their income it's the other way and as i've said before WE NEEDE guys willing to spend the time and find the stuff.
otherwise we'd never have time to get to the track.
to me those guys DESERVE a fair profit for their efforts , enuf said.

to me the fairness of ebay only extends to the guy with the deepest pockets or willingness to pay up as they say.
i'd say guess your best price post on the forum and see who replies.

me i'd be a lettle mean and ask for best story or reason WHY whoever just has to have your kart. Wink
maybe post a poll and have everyone vote!!! Tongue

Cool
Dave L.