Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I remove aluminum deposits from my cylinder?
How do I remove aluminum deposits from my cylinder?
Hoping I don't need to go oversize.
(03-30-2017, 09:07 AM)Terry Sullivan Wrote: How do I remove aluminum deposits from my cylinder?
I use mercuric acid, I apply it with a cotton swab, do not touch the acid or get it on your clothes ( holes appear in the wash cycle, my wife was not to pleased but then we have been marrried for over 30 years she knows the drill ).  Put  a few drops right on the aluminum, wait for bubbles to appear, maybe a couple minutes, wipe clear with a junk rag, the repeat until aluminum is gone.  Do not store the acid near anything you do not wish to get rusty. Good Luck.
(03-30-2017, 10:03 AM)Mike Berg Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 09:07 AM)Terry Sullivan Wrote: How do I remove aluminum deposits from my cylinder?
I use mercuric acid, I apply it with a cotton swab, do not touch the acid or get it on your clothes ( holes appear in the wash cycle, my wife was not to pleased but then we have been marrried for over 30 years she knows the drill ).  Put  a few drops right on the aluminum, wait for bubbles to appear, maybe a couple minutes, wipe clear with a junk rag, the repeat until aluminum is gone.  Do not store the acid near anything you do not wish to get rusty. Good Luck.

Thanks Mike!
baking soda and water to neutralize the acid, then some 320 paper to finish, oil or rust appears rapidly.
I use mercuric acid

I assume you mean muriatic acid...
I did this once before, on a dirt bike cylinder (Nikasil).  I bought a gallon jug of muriatic acid from a hardware store, and I ended using a couple of thimbles worth.  I dipped a popsicle stick into the acid and as soon as it touched the aluminum, it started fizzing.  Then I used the popsicle stick as a scraper.  After a few iterations, the cylinder was like new.

Muriatic acid is a less-pure form of hydrochloric acid, and as stated above, deserves respect.

It's used as chlorine for pools, and for cleaning concrete residue from tools, so look for it at pool supply and masonry supply shops.  Maybe even HD/Lowes.
(03-31-2017, 12:32 AM)Terry Bentley Wrote:
I use mercuric acid

I assume you mean muriatic acid...

Yes that is what I meant, sorry for the confusion.  Thank you for clarifying.
Mike Berg