Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun post Names or terms about damaged motors and racing slang
O.K. Guys,

I've not been posting much lately been a little too busy. TODAY after doing a small job this i have little to do so it's goof off day. but i'm terrible at goofing off. took a hour for a power nap and it's way to early to make dinner.
So i'm starting a terribly useful thread Rolleyes for newbes and people who like trivia.
My challenge add at least two new terms in your post be it racing slang motorhead slang or something else slang worded a newbe just gotta know to understand what us old farts are talkin about!!

Here Goes:

Needled block = ( people outside two stroke have NO IDEA what the heck that is) the term needled means a block that has been visited by internal debris in the combustion chamber or sleeve. Sick usually a loose bearing or two, a ring land retainer wire , or even some carburetor inhaled debris like a small rock. The result is linear lines following the piston path the repair is weld filling the lines (uncommon) or over-boring the motor sleeve. Often a NEEDLED motor is mis-characterized as a stuck motor. That is WRONG a needled motor has far worse damage than a "stuck" motor.

Motor Sleeve (or Liner)= do motors wear shirts or something?? Nope it's the liner inside the engine made out of:
  • cast iron sleeve(reborable) a sleeve made out of cast iron either pressed into the block (foreign motors) or cast into the block (most early american two stroke motors).
  • Chrome Bore- a hard chromed surface electroplate plated into the aluminum bore area. All early two strokes without cast sleeves got this done later years it has been replaced with niasil plating.on Chrome bores it's hugely important that it's completely there no lifting or missing sections of chrome.
  • Nikasil is short for Nickel Silicon Carbide. Silicon carbide is a very hard ceramic (much harder than steel) that can be dissolved in nickel. The nickel solution can then be electroplated onto the aluminium cylinder bore.
Stuck Motor= a motor becomes "stuck" when the piston is seized or "stuck" to the cylinder wall.  if a motor is  "stuck" at the minimum the cast iron sleeve needs to be cleaned up of all stuck on aluminum piston debris with muriatic acid (carefully) or re-honed. Worse cases will require re-boring/ re-honing. plated sleeves can only be cleaned up or replaced depending on extent of damage.

Seizing = Seizing can occur during engine use, via overheating and/or lack of oil, or during storage via condensation and corrosion. Failed or insufficient lubrication usually causes the pistons or piston rings to seize to the cylinder walls through excessive friction and heat produced by the friction. Failed lubrication happens from "needleitous"  Confused a condition where a racer keeps turning in the high needle to go faster. Two strokes are  faster at the top end with less fuel  . BUT they are also oiled with the fuel/oil mix. Reducing the amount of fuel also reduces the amount of oil available and losing the race and rehoning becomes your new hobby!!!.

Honing is an abrasive machining process that produces a precision surface on a metal work piece by scrubbing an abrasive stone against it along a controlled path. Honing is primarily used to improve the geometric form of a surface, but may also improve the surface texture. (swiped from Wikipedia)

o.k. outta time gotta make dinner.
who has more?? Cool

Save

Save
Dave L.
I was goin down the straightaway wideopen at Mid Ohio, only 1/2 mile long , and it " Blowed Up ".
Do you allow Yard Carts to enter events.....all depends ?   Why ? 

No four strokes, just smokers allowed.......say what, err' two stroke engines, you mean motors......well yeah, but no battery power plants......Big Grin .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

im sure one..(if not more ) daves motor puked the guts outta it at avon ..
Dave's store - a non existent place that is the subject of an ongoing spoof.
now here i wrire a SERIOUS post about unusual terms we use and what do i get GIBBERISH who the heck can understand any of that!!!
well two smiker is two stroke potato digger is a ahem four stroke motor as is boat anchor extra scrap iron. so what is a farmer brown modification anyway (no insult meant to real farmers of course!!) Rolleyes

and more likes GrUmPy DaVeS LEGENDARY VINTAGE KART PARTS STORE formerly grumpy daves junk pile!!!

Cool
Dave L.
LEGENDARY - never was or no longer is in existence.  Editor's note - this is not the definition for smiling Dave's racing prowess!!!
S.M.E.  Steering Wheel  
( Steve Miller  Enterprises)
When you add a pair ( two pair is the Royal model) of Vise Grips to a steering shaft.
Kevin
hey now this is to help newbies understand vintage karting ..
don't be teachin em my speed secrets ...Yet ..!! ..
Lol..

K.B. good to hear from ya ., ..looking forward to meeting up this summer ..sandy hook ..?? cuddybeck ..??
Oooops.....seized .....what happens when we tease Big Dave or "Fast" Stevie Miller ........not to worry.....they calm down

in about a week or so Big Grin  

Best not to tease Vintage folks though.......you could get a bloody nose at the races or worse !  Sad

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)