Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would It be a good investment?
Would it be a good investment to purchase an mc70 block off EBay? I believe it is being sold by Jeff Brown. He is also selling a reed sloper manifold I want.

Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Vico
investment??
I'm not sure if ANYTHING to do with vintage karting can be considered an investment!! Tongue 
Now if you asked is it a good buy or a useful block i'd say yes and no.
it's a good engine if you want to run a stocker but the fixed head creates it's own special issues.

the problem would be in the nature of the fixed head design. if you were to have an issue that damages the liner you'd need specialized services to get the block bored or honed. there are guys that do it ,Terry Ives being one of the best , but it's not a local shop type of a bore job.

on the other hand , run gently it could last for years of vintage racing and it is a super series mcculloch engine block.
off hand i don't remember the specs but i'm pretty sure it's between a mc101 and a mc91 size wise. the missing parts are all standardized mc super series parts.

hope this helps
Dave L.
The mc70 is 116cc's. The mc75 I believe is 119.

I planned on running it stock. I also wouldn't trust anyone outside the karting community to do a bore job on one of these rare engines.

Thanks for your words, Dave!

Vico
Vico,
if you buy the block feel free to contact me for the missing parts. though honestly you'd be better off finding and buying a mcculloch super series saw and swiping the needed parts from it. if i get time i'll write up a little list of parts you'll be able to interchange. or you can easily research that info from the disk mcbob and others sell with the various saw and kart ipls. a little tedious to research but well worth the time for the extended knowledge you'll gain researching your self!! i'm not sure but i may already have posted the saw ipl's i have from a disk i bought years ago
Dave L.
David:

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to contact you for some missing parts. I think I'll get the block and will contact you later for some of the missing parts.

Thank you Dave!

Vico
Vico.....be careful, an ole fox could snipe your eggs before the chicks hatch......old henhouse tip Big Grin .

Maybe contact Jeff direct and make a deal on the items you want ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

that's possibly a good idea. if you have any idea of having the motor built jeff happens to be an excellent motor builder too.
might be he'll have everything you'd need to build or at least be willing to build it up for you from parts you find!!
Dave L.
Randy & David:

it is a good idea. if he is on the forum i will send him a private message asking if he could do a deal for me.

thanks both.

Vico

The message has been sent and will be alert with updates.

Vico
Vico......look on the links for engine builders and suppliers that were posted here or go to the VKA, VKCA, or Rear Engine Kart websites to find contacts .

Never mind.....

JeffBrownVintageKarting.com or go here for more info : http://jeffbrownvintagekarting.com/?page_id=292

Big Grin

See Jeff at the dyno here:   http://vkakarting.com/dyno-ing-the-mc49-mcculloch/

I'll just PM you his phone number.... Rolleyes or email him : invaderjb@gmail.com