Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake Bleeding
I was wondering if anyone has done a how-to video on brake bleeding?  Seems like I have read about several different methods over the years so I was just curious if someone has done a video of it yet.
simplest method possible. Get a 1/4" pipe thread with a nipple on it. Attach a fuel line type hose. Screw the pipe thread nipple in the top of the master cyl. Open your caliper bleeder. Apply a couple # of air to the fuel line and push the fluid to the caliper. Lock off when fluid comes out. repeat for the other side of the caliper. It takes so little pressure you could almost blow into the line but then you might run out of air before you get it done. I just use a blow gun type nozzle pushed down on the top of the hose. 30 sec job per side.
i screw a hose nipple in the master cylinder fill hole
attach a hose with small squeeze bottle filled with fluid to the nipple
attach hose to bleeder in the caliper into a catch bottle.
depress brake pedal slightly to open passage then squeeze bottle till it fills the hose and caliper.

second way is use funnel instead of squeeze bottle and just open bleeder.
incline kart slightly so master is higher than caliper and let gravity do the work.
typically i use this method while working on something else as gravity can take a while. Big Grin
Dave L.
I use several different methods. Mainly due to the different brake designs. Dave brings up a good point about tilting the kart--to getting the air out of the system. Unfortunately, I have one goofy system (Sorry Goofy) where the calipers do not have bleeder screws, just screws that have to be removed. With that brake system, I have the kart tilted with calipers above the master cylinder opposite of Dave's suggestion which I agree with wholeheartedly. It is a pain and tricky, once done, tilt as Dave mentioned to close up the master cylinder high side up. I would not mind changing the system, but it is part of that kart's history and trying to keep original.

The key is to use the right DOT/fluid, that it is fresh (guards against moisture contamination) and assuring air is not trapped in the system.
This item appeared today in my Facebook memories from March 31, 2014, three years ago. My Kart 8j (2008 Energy Kenetic chassis) was my first kart with hydraulic brakes. I discovered the brakes not functioning properly and did a rebuild. Everything went well. Still found issues with the brake a a few days later, the story...

"Today I took the brake hydraulic system off the kart as a complete unit and performed a brake bleeding process on the bench. I put brake fluid in the caliper ends (no bleeder screws) and worked out the air bubbles through the screw holes and left the master cylinder alone. Placed unit back on kart and the brakes worked! Then I noticed traces of fluid coming out around the master cylinder screw fill hole. I did not notice this Friday night, because of the fill / bleed process--just a messy task which hid the problem. Ordered new fiber washers and screw. I hope the 10mm pitch size is the same, because there are three pitch sizes used in European karts."

The new washer and screw resolved the problem. Something that should be considered on a brake rebuild.
This appeared in my anniversary FB post today writing about my experience three years ago on my first kart hydraulic brake rebuild and bleeding. This was a challenge for the caliper does not have bleeder screws and mentioned earlier in this thread. The picture is part of a photo album of preparing my Kart 8j for the 2014 season. I'm not sure for non-facebook users if they can see the brake tool photo. The album setting is set public. 

If you are unable to see it in Facebook and want to see the tool I used, request it.  I'll include a photo here later.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=3&theater
Interesting post Scott, I am not a Facebook member, but I had no trouble seeing the pictures or post....although
Facebook put some please sign in messages into the process .

I have a similar setup on my Alpha Tag with water cooled engine Smile . Of course my brakes need work now; I own the bleeder tool.......funny I would rather just run the Vintage karts as getting in and out of the Alpha is a pain with my stiff
old body !
Randy, Thank you the FB feedback. You are right, nothing like a vintage kart foamed covered seat.