Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tri Flow
I use only Tri Flow on my chains. Usually, it's no issue, as I clean the kart within a couple of days after an event. However, due to my illness last year, I didn't get the kart cleaned after the March Tucson event. The Tri Flow has hardened wherever the chain has flung it. Citrus based cleaners just bounce off, and I don't dare use petroleum products on the powder coat. Denatured alky does work, but S-L-O-W-L-Y and with lots of rubbing, and I'm not too good yet at standing for long periods of time. After over an hour, I have most of it off the seat back, but the encrustation around my Heim joint swing mount link to the X member, the engine fins and such like is a real hassle. The alcohol seems to remove the dried castor O.K., but the Tri Flow is another matter. Anybody got thoughts about a cleaning method that won't harm the powder coat? Thanks. Ted
Someone suggested oven cleaner to me a couple of years back.  It seems to do well if you let it sit for several minutes.  Like 10+.  That and 0000 steel wool have worked well and have not harmed any PC finish or the chrome bright work.
Thanks, Sterling. My issue with oven cleaner is in it turning aluminum black. A fellow in Casa Grande may have some cleaner by Tri Flow's sister company that may work. I'm getting the stuff off, it's just a really slow process, and there's no room between engine and seatback. Ted
I have used a mix for years. It removes almost everything with no effort and doesn't hurt catalized paint or powder. Mix up 100% pure mineral spirits and gunk concentrate. If you mix a quart and put it in a household pump spray bottle you would mix about 28 oz. spirits and 4 oz gunk. I've used this on motorcycles for years and my karts also. The gunk makes the old crud all water soluble so it all washes right off.
Thanks, Steve. The only reason I didn't use the Gunk degreaser I have here is that I didn't have a good way to rinse it off. Desert-no reason for a garden hose! I guess I gotta go get a hose. Ted
Ted,
I use wax and grease remover such as brand Wipe Out sells. You can find it at most automotive paint stores. Cost is 25.00 or so a gallon and will last you a long time. If you would like I can bring you a gallon to Tucson.
It is petroleum based but paint and powder coat safe. It works well removing castor and chain wax I use on my Rupp.
I have also used fine rubbing compound with a microfiber to bring back a nice surface finish to powder coat after cleaning then wax it with Zymoil wax for protection. If the powder coat is of good quality these steps will work well.
I would stay away from oven cleaner on powder coat and if left on aluminum to long will turn it black. Welte's mix sounds similar to a wax and grease solution and should also work.
Dean
High Teck products 7800-4 is the part number Ted.

Dean
Thanks, Dean. I had meant to ask you the other day when we were emailing, but I got off on another thought and forgot! I'm in no hurry now. I'll get the kart as clean as possible for Tucson, and I'll get the good stuff after that. Ted