Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where do you find the crinkle paint?
Hello guys,

I have an MC91A that is in the midst of restoration but I ran into a problem: Where do you find the black crinkle paint to paint the cover? I thought that we had a link that info on the old site but that doesn't do me any good now. Could one of you engine builders help me out on that? Thanks in advance!

Blaine
We used wrinkle powder coat on the last shrouds we did. Kaehr Coatings in Albuquerque did them. They really looked great. TJ
Summit automotive or any Harley dealer. It works best when you do a cover coat and then 10 min later do another heavier coat and then 10 min later a coat just short of running. Then put it under a heat lamp(not to close) or in a hot box for about 4 hours or more. I always do mine over epoxy primer if you have an option.
(03-02-2017, 06:04 PM)Blaine Krugerud Wrote: Hello guys,

I have an MC91A that is in the midst of restoration but I ran into a problem: Where do you find the black crinkle paint to paint the cover? I thought that we had a link that info on the old site but that doesn't do me any good now. Could one of you engine builders help me out on that? Thanks in advance!

Blaine

eastwood has the best black crinkle paint keep the part you paint horizontal as much as posable

and above 65 degrees even a heat lamp aiming at the cover best to do some trial scrap stuff  before

you go for the cover
Richard Stamile
Oceanside NY.
most any auto parts store has it VHT brand works well. I used to do it in the attic of the shop I worked at in the summer it was about 120 up there after work always worked well.
I see the VHT is in a rattle can. I am not sure about the others. But heat seems to be a key component. Thanks guys!
i didn't care for the auto parts  brands i tried but that may have changed  it was awhile
since i tried off the shelf stuff 20 years ago the auto store brands worked well till the EPA
got involved , i remember its one coat one direction and a second the opposing with the recommended
time between them using a heat lamp on the part starts the crinkle some times with out the heat lamp
it would fail do i would always use one
Richard Stamile
Oceanside NY.
I agree with Richard on the poor rattle can paint post EPA. Even the VHT brand epoxy scratches right off. TJ
I've used Prismatic Powders Hot Mustard (PSB 7030) & Desert Nite Black (PWS 2839). Website is www.prismaticpowders.com

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-02-2017, 06:04 PM)Blaine Krugerud Wrote: Hello guys,

Blaine

Blaine we do powder at my shop for 35yrs done plenty of stuff for members here.
Ted