Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
820 stroker
So I just acquired most of my stroker parts for a 820 project and my question is , has anyone run a stroker 820 with luck or do they have a weak life expectancy? I imagine the latter , but was just curious how successful one of these beasts can be and what to do to enjoy it for a reasonable amount of time. I have a Hortsman head , thin ring Wiseco ,fancy dancy rod bolts and newer rod, etc. Girdle or no girdle? I talk to a couple gurus a lil , but would like to start a dialogue for others to see. Thanks
Here's a 10+ C.I. 620 that my pal, Charlie got from a co=worker at Wyatt Enterprises in 1963/64. He ran it a full season in B Limited, and my neighbor, Lanny Rothery, took it over and put it on a G.K. 1200. Lanny ran the engine another season and it still had not broken! I still think that's got to be a record for a stroked, WAAAY overbored, ungirdled 820. I was there and saw it run many times. I drove it several times myself. That's the Scorpion and gearbox that Charlie still runs in vintage today with a 101D on it. It's also the same Scorpion that's in my avatar with Pop's dual Mc6's on board. Ted
old style block you had better girdle it or time will be short. Keep the R's at 11,000 or less and torque it. Can run forever if you don't try to wind it to death
I do have an ole style block thats ready to go . I would however, like to get a newer style block , for the extra thickness it offers. I guess my question would be if its feasible to run an ole style backing plate with updated ignition and ole skool shave flywheel? Also I wonder if the BIG 1 would consider it vintage if I just update the block? No biggie really , I can get a FMS girdle if need be.

I was curious Ted , how did your buds stroker fair against other engine setups , I understand the driver has alot to do with a race .
Art, the new block is a no-no at TBO. Of course you can always hope they don't notice. All they have to see is the stuffer area with the extra bolts and the jig is up. TJ
which is completely ridiculous. Probably why I've never been to the TBO. Silly stuff.
I can understand the Big 1s reasoning , trying to keep things period correct , but using a newer " block" should be allowed as it is pretty much the same thing as the older ones besides the thicker pto and stuffer area if the ignition, flywheel ,etc . is vintage ish. I agree the new 820 should not be used there due to being modernized. I may have to inquire.
(03-02-2017, 08:57 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Here's a 10+ C.I. 620 that my pal, Charlie got from a co=worker at Wyatt Enterprises in 1963/64. He ran it a full season in B Limited, and my neighbor, Lanny Rothery, took it over and put it on a G.K. 1200. Lanny ran the engine another season and it still had not broken! I still think that's got to be a record for a stroked, WAAAY overbored, ungirdled 820. I was there and saw it run many times. I drove it several times myself. That's the Scorpion and gearbox that Charlie still runs in vintage today with a 101D on it. It's also the same Scorpion that's in my avatar with Pop's dual Mc6's on board. Ted
Ted , thats a huge master cylinder resevior on that kart in the pic. Im kidding obviously , neat scoot. Tongue
It's still got that same master cyl. reservoir on it right now! TJ