Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can anyone identify this homelite engine
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Go-Kart-...SwB-1YqjAl

he says its a kl100 but note these discrepancies.

it appears to be a right hand motor from the position of the starter handle, no kr100's exist (right hand)
it has a mount from a 82 or 92
the jug upper area doesn't resemble any 82, 92, 95, or 100 I can find

maybe its a zipsaw engine converted???  

I know little about homelites but I would be interested in it if it is kr92 which I doubt
Whoa! That's quite the engine. He probably only thinks it's a 100 because it sits up 90*.

I wish there was more pics, but here is what I see.

The horizontal top fins were on the 82's with a 2- 1/16". Quite rare. With that said, there are lots of 2" bore saws with the same looking head (Like the Zip).

You're right about the starter being set up for right hand. Right hand FW cover. Kart mounts.

You can barely see the area where the case part number was cast and it's consistent with the 82/92.

The top intake looks like some home made modification bonded to the case. All of the Buzz, Zip, Wiz saws 600,707,770,775 saws had bottom case fed intakes just like the 82/92. 

I'm placing my bets on an KR82 with some serious intake modifications.  Looks like a fun project to tackle.
(02-21-2017, 12:35 PM)sam bennett Wrote: Whoa! That's quite the engine. He probably only thinks it's a 100 because it sits up 90*.

I wish there was more pics, but here is what I see.

The horizontal top fins were on the 82's with a 2- 1/16". Quite rare. With that said, there are lots of 2" bore saws with the same looking head (Like the Zip).

You're right about the starter being set up for right hand. Right hand FW cover. Kart mounts.

You can barely see the area where the case part number was cast and it's consistent with the 82/92.

The top intake looks like some home made modification bonded to the case. All of the Buzz, Zip, Wiz saws 600,707,770,775 saws had bottom case fed intakes just like the 82/92. 

I'm placing my bets on an KR82 with some serious intake modifications.  Looks like a fun project to tackle.

i agree. with the amount of epoxy there (neatly done) i'd guess internally that motor might be modified. if it goes around 200 i'd say buy it as you may get a really cool hot rodded motor.
Dave L.
The real deal  BIN  $600*   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Go-Kart-...2415297339

* I don't mean the price, but for sure it's labeled Kart engine !

Anyone need a Van Tech manifold for a Mac ?  I paid twice what this seller has BIN .....of course mine is better...not !

whatever homelite this was....This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing.

Missing the shroud and engine tag, for $100 shipped sometimes you get what you pay for ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think the best part of this whole deal is the "muff-it" muffler setting next to the motor. This one even has an empty McCulloch oil can as the "muffler" Quite rare in itself yet alone for a Homelite.  Cool

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
I have alway admired the lines and shape of the Homelite kart engines.  The head, with the peeked cowling, like the one Randy posted, makes it look very streamlined.   Almost like they were designed for 1/4 scale RC race planes.  Very aerodynamic looking.  I'm curious as to how these engines preformed in the karting world?  Were they worth a dam?  The higher cc engines like this one seem to command a pretty good price.  And parts are not so easy to come by either.  So, I am wondering what drives the price?
(02-21-2017, 05:07 PM)Sterling Brundick Wrote: I have alway admired the lines and shape of the Homelite kart engines.  The head, with the peeked cowling, like the one Randy posted, makes it look very streamlined.   Almost like they were designed for 1/4 scale RC race planes.  Very aerodynamic looking.  I'm curious as to how these engines preformed in the karting world?  Were they worth a dam?  The higher cc engines like this one seem to command a pretty good price.  And parts are not so easy to come by either.  So, I am wondering what drives the price?
Sterling, the quality of Homelites was very good, but there were serious limitations. Until the stroker kit came along for the K-92, and of course until the advent of the KL-95 and 100, the engines were undersized. The integral head meant that increasing the compression was difficult. The transfer passages being inside the cylinder made altering the ports very difficult. Just as the potential of the KL-100 was being realized, Homelite stopped production. I've never seen a highly modified KL-95 or 100, so I don't know just how good they might have been. The lack of boost porting put them at a disadvantage in the open classes, whereas it was a simple operation to nine port a "third port" Mac engine. I was studying the possible modification of the KL-100 I had, and even had parts made to adapt the big IAME reed valve, but I decided to go the West Bend rote, so I sold the 100 to Chris Marchand, who had Scott Kneisel restore it (beautifully). TJ
Back on the ebay market.....relisted as
Modified KL92 Homelite go-Kart engine.  Modified
dual carburetor #HL88A. Homelite pyramid reed valves
  Good compression

Parts.....or wall art ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)