Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WOW! 61 Road Runner Charger!
I may have discovered the Kart Kollector's next most desirable collectable kart? The awesome 1961 Road Runner Charger optioned with a Hemi!

You have to wonder how much this unique vehicle is worth?

Knowing the 1960s Road Runners and Chargers with a Hemi bring in the huge dollars. Well, how much would a rare 1961 Road Runner Charger optioned out with a Hemi go for? Millions?

Bet you guys did not see that coming?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-21-2017, 06:00 AM)Scott elkes Wrote: I may have discovered the Kart Kollector's next most desirable collectable kart? The awesome 1961 Road Runner Charger optioned with a Hemi!

Knowing the 1960s Road Runners and Chargers with a Hemi bring in the huge dollars. Well, how much would a rare 1961 Road Runner Charger optioned out with a Hemi go for? Millions?

I remember them karts a local guy had one, they handled pretty good back then, most karts were crap in those days, not much engineering. That is a really rare kart, I hope you restore, what color is it?
I've got a Rupp 1961 Road Runner......that just means it had two motor mounts compared to the single engine Dart Karts or "A" Bones .

Seems many manufacturers were branding their karts without trade marking the name ?

Just like Go Kart and Fox Go Boy got into it over the advertising....

Anyway......who really cares about the collectable value......?   Only people caught up in their egos......Ooops I guess I'll get hate mail over saying that......I would rather see more people finding old karts, restoring them and coming out to the events to have fun......as that's how all this came to pass sixty plus years ago .....which just means people were looking for an affordable motorsport hobby to enjoy....so these old karts sold like crazy.....especially kids.....I guess that's what drew me back after years of being involved with professional motorsports*.......

I think spending one to two million dollars* not including transport vehicles, travel costs.....excludes just about all but
those that do this as a business, not a hobby.....in contrast Vintage Karting is not cheap, but it is within the range of most of us or at least those willing to invest our time and cash......so I would not like to see this hobby go away because of those seeing it as a way to make money out of it .

Sorry for the rant.....but in the mid 1960's Drag Racing had so many competitors coming to the races that it was common to see 400-500 Competition Eliminator race cars entered at the major races. It was very competitive !

I noticed at the NHRA Winternationals Race just held at the Fairplex in Pomona California in early February there were about fifteen enteries in Comp Eliminator......Stock and Super Stock have been changed to basically bracket car racing.

Why ?   Simple too expensive to build and compete.....drag racing, stock car racing, etc are declining as participant sports......that's why those that stay involved have to be sponsored ...it's a business .

I wonder how many kids will continue to play sports in the future, or find alternate ways of recreation instead of competitive sports programs ?

No wonder we all become overweight......it's just easier to watch instead of do something that get's us off the couch !

Go to a Vintage kart event.....you'll get out of the house, off the couch and at the end of the day be tired and happy !

Plus......during the week you ...you have to get off the couch and into the garage or shop......wait I need to stop typing and go get some work done now......Big Grin

(02-21-2017, 09:24 AM)Mike Berg Wrote:
(02-21-2017, 06:00 AM)Scott elkes Wrote: I may have discovered the Kart Kollector's next most desirable collectable kart? The awesome 1961 Road Runner Charger optioned with a Hemi!

I remember them karts a local guy had one, they handled pretty good back then, most karts were crap in those days, not much engineering.  That is a really rare kart, I hope you restore, what color is it?
Mike,

Sorry, it was an ad I spotted and posted from a newly acquired "Karting World" magazine. I scan and share items that are interesting from the magazines. I never knew of this kart and I thought others may not know as well (or forgotten). I do not have this kart. 

Watching some of the Car Auctions on television you often see the car collectors stratospheric bids when a restored 426 Hemi Road Runner or Charger goes on the block. I was having fun with the 1961 Road Runner Charger kart appeared and teasing the car collectors they missed one! Put on a McCulloch Mc-7 and you have your Hemi on this 1961 Road Runner Charger kart.
(02-21-2017, 06:35 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: I've got a Rupp 1961 Road Runner......that just means it had two motor mounts compared to the single engine Dart Karts or "A" Bones .

Seems many manufacturers were branding their karts without trade marking the name ?

Just like Go Kart and Fox Go Boy got into it over the advertising....

Anyway......who really cares about the collectable value......?   Only people caught up in their egos......Ooops I guess I'll get hate mail over saying that......I would rather see more people finding old karts, restoring them and coming out to the events to have fun......as that's how all this came to pass sixty plus years ago .....which just means people were looking for an affordable motorsport hobby to enjoy....so these old karts sold like crazy.....especially kids.....I guess that's what drew me back after years of being involved with professional motorsports*.......

I think spending one to two million dollars* not including transport vehicles, travel costs.....excludes just about all but
those that do this as a business, not a hobby.....in contrast Vintage Karting is not cheap, but it is within the range of most of us or at least those willing to invest our time and cash......so I would not like to see this hobby go away because of those seeing it as a way to make money out of it .

Sorry for the rant.....but in the mid 1960's Drag Racing had so many competitors coming to the races that it was common to see 400-500 Competition Eliminator race cars entered at the major races. It was very competitive !

I noticed at the NHRA Winternationals Race just held at the Fairplex in Pomona California in early February there were about fifteen enteries in Comp Eliminator......Stock and Super Stock have been changed to basically bracket car racing.

Why ?   Simple too expensive to build and compete.....drag racing, stock car racing, etc are declining as participant sports......that's why those that stay involved have to be sponsored ...it's a business .

I wonder how many kids will continue to play sports in the future, or find alternate ways of recreation instead of competitive sports programs ?

No wonder we all become overweight......it's just easier to watch instead of do something that get's us off the couch !

Go to a Vintage kart event.....you'll get out of the house, off the couch and at the end of the day be tired and happy !

Plus......during the week you ...you have to get off the couch and into the garage or shop......wait I need to stop typing and go get some work done now......Big Grin
Randy,

You captured my drift on the use of trademarks back in the day! This "Karting World" (March 1961) I just received had many examples that are very familiar trademarks today for karts and cars.

And, your commentary captured what I encountered when looking for a kart to purchase...
When I was looking for a vintage (runner) kart and not knowing for sure if I would continue to enjoy karting, The "first kart" I was looking for had to come in at a low price and something running. I was out of karting almost 50 years, needed to make up time and wanting to drive something, now! Investigations ruled out vintage and I eventually found a retired modern kart with a working, but tired 125cc TaG engine, that best fit for what I was looking for and price range.
Big Grin .....another good reason to preserve this hobby for us older guys is if you crash ......most motorsports are very fast
so the race car is not going to survive hitting the guard rail, in a kart you can drive it on the edge, but most likely it's more embarrassment  then tearing up you and the kart ....when things go wrong !

So kids ...get out of the way when these old dudes .....are on the track......we may not be as fearless now, but .......watch out!