Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCulloch R1 brake mount
I need a little more help with my kart. At some point the mount for the disc brake was removed from the engine cradle. Could someone please provide the dimensions for the mount as well as the thickness of the mount. I can see from pictures the basic shape but I don't know where the mounting holes would be located.

Thanks for any help,

Michael
(02-16-2017, 11:27 PM)Michael Drechnowicz Wrote: I need a little more help with my kart. At some point the mount for the disc brake was removed from the engine cradle. Could someone please provide the dimensions for the mount as well as the thickness of the mount. I can see from pictures the basic shape but I don't know where the mounting holes would be located.

Thanks for any help,

Michael

michael,
please post a pix of the area you need to have clarified .
i'll see what i can do to help.
Dave L.
Maybe these  photos from Randy Forbes will help ?

Or as I mentioned before check out this build here ....it shows how to modify the brake position to work with a spacer.

http://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index...adapter003

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I realize it's been 50 yrs since i've owned an R-1, but I could swear that the brake mounted directly to the side of the engine mount (cradle), no bracket or anything.   I have a brake assy in front of me now.   I don't think there was any spacer or bracket.   OH, NEVER MIND.   You are probably talking about the bracket that was welded to the cradle at the factory. That is what Randy is showing in his pics.  Of course, all the brakes in those photo are not the correct McCulloch mechanical brake.
Ron.....you're probably right as to what McCulloch Karts originally came from the factory with .

Since Michael hasn't posted any images of his what he's having to work with.....it's all speculation so far .

Those that can actually drive one of these Mac Karts today at an event probably have had to upgrade from what was
or use modern yard cart braking systems.....better to have Race Kart brakes if the Mac is going to be a true Runner again .

For trailer "Queens" that  are being restored as built....then that's a different deal to research......look at the original advertising to see what was back in the day .

Update :   This Mac Kart advertised on ebay for around $7500 still had some images to look at :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-McCulloch-R...7675.l2557

Some have said this Mac Kart is not as direct from the factory, but that was a very long time ago :Big Grin

Hope this answers some questions ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-18-2017, 02:53 PM)Ron Reaves Wrote: I realize it's been 50 yrs since i've owned an R-1, but I could swear that the brake mounted directly to the side of the engine mount (cradle), no bracket or anything.   I have a brake assy in front of me now.   I don't think there was any spacer or bracket.   OH, NEVER MIND.   You are probably talking about the bracket that was welded to the cradle at the factory.  That is what Randy is showing in his pics.  Of course, all the brakes in those photo are not the correct McCulloch mechanical brake.

My R1 was unaltered when I received it and this is the bracket it had on it. It was 1/4" thick.
The disc here was updated but the caliper and bracket are original.
Looks right to me as well. Mine are in storage but I can see if I can get over there next week.
(02-18-2017, 06:54 PM)Scott Kneisel Wrote:
(02-18-2017, 02:53 PM)Ron Reaves Wrote: I realize it's been 50 yrs since i've owned an R-1, but I could swear that the brake mounted directly to the side of the engine mount (cradle), no bracket or anything.   I have a brake assy in front of me now.   I don't think there was any spacer or bracket.   OH, NEVER MIND.   You are probably talking about the bracket that was welded to the cradle at the factory.  That is what Randy is showing in his pics.  Of course, all the brakes in those photo are not the correct McCulloch mechanical brake.

My R1 was unaltered when I received it and this is the bracket it had on it. It was 1/4" thick.

"Great Scott",  that is a good pic of the the Mac brake setup.  I never had any problem with that brake fading or getting overly hot with my driven hard R-1 with a Mc7, and later a Mc9, on a challenging course.   It would lock everything up in an instant - if that's what you wanted ....Ron
(02-18-2017, 06:54 PM)Scott Kneisel Wrote:

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.I was away and did not get a chance to post pictures. The part I was referring to is what is shown in this picture, where the caliper mounts. This has been removed on my kart and it has a drum brake. I don't think the mount would be in the way of the drum setup and as long as I was painting the kart anyway I figured I would add the mount back on.

Does anyone have any dimensions for this?

Thanks,

Michael