Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming back after 30 years
Well, I'm committed, or at least my family thinks I should be! After being away from karting for 30-odd years, I'm busily setting up my '73 Bucket Bug to run the over 60 class (I understand it's affectionately referred to as the "Geezer Class" - it's OK, I qualify) at Sandy Hook in May, or, at least, that's the plan. Also hoping to do Cuddebackville and/or Oreville this year and maybe Avon next year.

I'll be running a basically box stock Mac 91B1 with a Margay gearbox. I'm trying to get a handle on gear ratios. From what I've learned so far, I want to be in the high 6's to low 7's:1, which puts me squarely in one of the gaps in my gear set supply. Can anyone give me more insight into gearing and are gear sets available anywhere?
Bill.....Always check with the source first : http://www.margay.com/shopmargay/Safari-...r-Set.html

And there's always guys who have skills to repro items like Tom Kelley .
(02-11-2017, 11:49 AM)Bill Peck Wrote: Well, I'm committed, or at least my family thinks I should be! After being away from karting for 30-odd years, I'm busily setting up my '73 Bucket Bug to run the over 60 class (I understand it's affectionately referred to as the "Geezer Class" - it's OK, I qualify) at Sandy Hook in May, or, at least, that's the plan. Also hoping to do Cuddebackville and/or Oreville this year and maybe Avon next year.

I'll be running a basically box stock Mac 91B1 with a Margay gearbox. I'm trying to get a handle on gear ratios. From what I've learned so far, I want to be in the high 6's to low 7's:1, which puts me squarely in one of the gaps in my gear set supply. Can anyone give me more insight into gearing and are gear sets available anywhere?

Welcome back to Karting.  I think Margay still has some gear sets left over, if not there are many out there just post a WTB request.
Bill,
find out what you want and pm me i have gear sets i'll sell.
if i have the gear you need we'll work out a deal.
Dave L.
Wow! Never in my wildest dreams did I think that Margay would still be selling gear sets, but they have all the ones I need to fill that gap available. Thanks for the link Randy.

OK, gearing problem solved, now I'm wondering about oil. Back in the day I used Klotz Super Techniplate at 16:1. I see on their website that it, or something with the same name, is available for motorcycles. Is anybody familiar with it?

I was going to use Amsoil Interceptor full synthetic, which I have two quarts of out in the garage that I was using in my street bike ('76 Suzuki GT550), but I found something that doesn't smoke as much. Now I'm wondering if that would be a prudent move.

Prevailing wisdom, at least on the Suzuki forum, is that modern oils are so much better that you can use less without fear of engine damage. Regardless of which oil I use, what is the prevailing wisdom on premix ratios in the VKA?
Bill...

I and many that run the over 60 class run Klotz K100..at 8oz per gal..or the quart to 4 gals of alky.... been running it for years,,,,,different stuff avail...but that's my choice.....

gw
Bill....yeah sometimes you get lucky Smile glad to help .

As to lubrication.....wow, everyone has their particular theory on what they prefer.....my theory is keep it rich
or "Ka _Boom !

Big Grin I'll leave the specific brands of castor to the real experts .......over the years Castrol Lubricants have provided
much needed financial support to my projects , but most all of it will do for our Vintage endeavors .
(02-12-2017, 02:23 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: Bill....yeah sometimes you get lucky Smile  glad to help .

As to lubrication.....wow, everyone has their particular theory on what they prefer.....my theory is keep it rich
or "Ka _Boom !

Big Grin     I'll leave the specific brands of castor to the real experts .......over the years Castrol Lubricants have provided
much needed financial support to my projects , but most all of it will do for our Vintage endeavors .

Mccullochs like some castor oil in my humble opinion. gary's ratios work real well i use the samer. best to use too much oil and keep the engine in one piece.
Save
Dave L.
We use the klotz supertechniplate in all of ours gas or alky. All at 8 Oz to the gallon.
Thanks guys. So the more things change the more they stay the same! Klotz at 16:1 it is.