Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water pump
O.K., we've all seen how Ernie F. and Dave B. solved the problem of a water pump for Ernie's Konig/Hovey. It's a beautiful, reliable, compact solution, but the Johnson and Jabsco standalone pumps are very costly. Has anybody else tackled this problem and come up with a less costly, robust solution? I know I can design and fabricate a pump using an outboard motor rebuild kit, but the machining needed for shaft and bearing support that'd be robust enough to drive off the engine will be expensive. If the kart is push started, like Ernie's beauty, driving the pump off the axle is the answer. However, this rig will have a clutch, so the engine wouldn't get coolant while idling with an axle driven pump. If the kart is axle clutch driven, we could drive the pump off the drive chain, using the pump sprocket as an idler. Thoughts? Thanks in advance. Ted
(02-11-2017, 11:47 AM)ted johnson Wrote: O.K., we've all seen how Ernie F. and Dave B. solved the problem of a water pump for Ernie's Konig/Hovey. It's a beautiful, reliable, compact solution, but the Johnson and Jabsco standalone pumps are very costly. Has anybody else tackled this problem and come up with a less costly, robust solution? I know I can design and fabricate a pump using an outboard motor rebuild kit, but the machining needed for shaft and bearing support that'd be robust enough to drive off the engine will be expensive. If the kart is push started, like Ernie's beauty, driving the pump off the axle is the answer. However, this rig will have a clutch, so the engine wouldn't get coolant while idling with an axle driven pump. If the kart is axle clutch driven, we could drive the pump off the drive chain, using the pump sprocket as an idler. Thoughts? Thanks in advance. Ted

You could put the pump on a small jackshaft, or maybe copy or find one of the internal engine pump off of Italian engines, namely 125cc types I think several used this method.  Many also offer axle driven pumps using oring drive.
Ted.....on my Tag kart the pump is external ....not Vintage, but like modern brakes could be adapted ?

https://cometkartsales.com/Water-Pumps-P...cessories/

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of looking at Comet. Might de-anodize and re-anodize in black for the vintage look. TJ
Ted.....depending on stock, they come in no color or the usual colors.....and there are replacement internal parts....so
one has to just be creative.....Smile .
(02-11-2017, 12:48 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: Ted.....depending on stock, they come in no color or the usual colors.....and there are replacement internal parts....so
one has to just be creative.....Smile .
Got it. Now it's up to the owner. I'm just the design helper! TJ
Last question of the day: The TAG and shifter pumps are for 125cc engines. Will they be up to a 250cc engine? Mitigating circumstance: TAGs and shifters run gas and the Konig is an alky burner, so should run cooler. Of course, the Konig has a higher compression ratio, so this may negate some of the cooler running characteristics. TJ
what kinda pumps do small boat motors have ..is there anything in the lower units ..??..maybe there all built in motors .. I have no idea ..ron merriman would know ..
Steve, the ones I looked at have usually a nylon housing, a long shaft that would have to be machined down and you'd have to create a bearing setup. We've been looking at Yamaha and OMC type rebuild kits, but they'd require a lot of machine work. Some of the TAG pumps are around $50 complete, less the pulleys, fittings and mount brackets. I just don't know what their GPM ratings are. Ted
ted ., if i had to guess with all the years of 500 cc kawasaki motocrossers i rode that have the super tiniest water pumps in captivity they never got hot and  I was just outside with my younger brother ..he,s into snowmobiles ..I seen one he has its a 500 triple liquid has tiny tiny belt driven externail water pump ..the belt looks like vacuum cleaner belt ..that the tag pump be perfect .??