Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not exactly kart related/my profession
Oh your going to love this. Early on when this project got going and I was still trying to set up all the data I had 14 failed engines in one morning for low RPM oil pressure. Since this was the last thing that happened to an engine short of placing it in a shipping box, if this test caused a log jam the entire plant stops. I had no time to do the teardowns to find the problem so one of Test and development came down . Hours later he found a gasket that had the oil feed hole in the wrong location exposing part of the hole to the cam chest. Loss of oil pressure when the pressure is low. If you got lucky and the gasket was moved just about .020 it would seal. So 14 of them that morning weren't so lucky. It triggered a huge warranty issue because I don't even want to tell you how many had been going out the door prior to this test being setup. The purpose is to find the problems before the customer gets the engine. It cost 3/4 million dollars to set this machine up. It paid for itself in a short period of time. Warranty claims dropped in an hurry. a better product is the result. Just think. when I was on the phone as a Tech I had one month with way over $100,000.00 in warranty claims and I was only one tech of 6. It's what you do to stop the bleeding. A better company exist today for this and many other reasons. S&S was the first motorcycle engine company to pilot this type of testing. It was a hard 2 years to develop and pass and fail system for every engine. Each engine can be built in a Performance package, a touring package, an EPA approved package or a EuropeanTUV package. A different test is required for each engine. 64 engines in all those packages.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Not exactly kart related/my profession - by steve welte - 02-02-2017, 09:12 PM