Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Vintage McCulloch engine
First of all -thanks for letting me join!
I am 64 years old so the stuff on this forum is what I only could dream of in the late sixties and early seventies. I had a homemade kart that needed more power or a jackshaft-or both!

I'm hoping somebody can either help me or send me in the right direction.
My neighbors husband passed a couple years ago -he was a severe hoarder -and he was known for starting projects. One project was an ultralight helicopter -w found the basket and rotors pretty fast. A few months ago, after major progress had been made in the clean- up I came across what I assumed was a McCulloch kart engine that John was going to use for his ultralight -so I let the kid down the road take it- until I figured out what it was. It's never been used -looks like just a factory start up from the spark plug. No carbon anywhere -and it has NEVER been apart. If this valuable I would like to get a fair price for his wife -if not it goes on my mantle. I figure somebody may collect, or perhaps the karters used them after the kart engines were no longer made. Or perhaps somebody knows somebody who is into vintage ultralights. Personally, I would totally disassemble it prior to using it -one black spot on a bearing race or ball or journal leads to spalling really quick!

Here are some pics -it is spotless inside and out.

And a technical question -I have the carb apart. There was a black piece of crud that I assumed was sponge rubber 50 years ago -I see that it is a capillary plug. What do you guys to replace it. Not sure what it does since it is between intake manifold vacuum and crankcase pressure.

Thanks again for letting me join -if you want to boot me because I am past my kart years, I understand!
.jpg   IMG_2747.JPG (Size: 2.85 MB / Downloads: 64)
.jpg   IMG_2750 (1).JPG (Size: 2.85 MB / Downloads: 45)
.jpg   IMG_2734_Moment.jpg (Size: 166.88 KB / Downloads: 40)
.jpg   IMG_2737.JPG (Size: 3.01 MB / Downloads: 38)
.jpg   20120123181934_Moment.jpg (Size: 19.15 KB / Downloads: 37)
.jpg   IMG_2746.JPG (Size: 2.68 MB / Downloads: 37)

Messages In This Thread
new Vintage McCulloch engine - by Lee Arnold - 01-11-2023, 09:43 PM
RE: new Vintage McCulloch engine - by Jim Donovan - 01-12-2023, 08:54 AM
RE: new Vintage McCulloch engine - by Lee Arnold - 01-13-2023, 08:17 PM
RE: new Vintage McCulloch engine - by steveohara - 01-23-2023, 01:53 AM
RE: new Vintage McCulloch engine - by Lee Arnold - 01-26-2023, 04:22 PM
RE: new Vintage McCulloch engine - by Lee Arnold - 01-29-2023, 09:56 PM