Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Direct Drive Question Dual engines
Yes, Steve. I started in '58 with the single A400 dead axle Bug with the super strong "Scrub-on-sprocket" brake. When you hit the brake, the kart went faster. We wore out shoes scrubbing them on the asphalt. Bug's second effort, the dual internal expanding band brake was no better. The Palmini hydro disc would at least stop the kart. We had a lot of fun in the early days. We had the aerospace workers as customers, since we were 35 miles from Cape Canaveral. Wyatt Enterprises, in Cocoa, was even closer. There were a lot more karters in the Orlando area than in Brevard County.
It really took the introduction of the Fields Max Torque clutches to begin the change away from direct drive. When I quit karting the first time, in late '63 or early '64, I was still running direct drive, and still winning with it. The clutch guys all ballyhooed the clutches ability to keep the engine in the torque band, but we still beat the clutch karts consistently. It took the oil clutches to truly end direct drive in America. The Euros had direct drive down to a science. Their engines were set up to run best direct. Also, the introduction of space chain was instrumental in making both clutch and direct much easier. Ted

Messages In This Thread
Direct Drive Question Dual engines - by steve cox - 09-20-2021, 10:19 PM
RE: Direct Drive Question Dual engines - by ted johnson - 09-24-2021, 08:09 AM