Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting a mcculloch saw to a mc49 kart motor
Quote:Steve Welte wrote:
In search put in "saw conversions" or "saw engines" that will get you the info you need. Also be advised that the 300 Mac saw is 1.5 stroke not a 1.375 like a 49 or like it says on Bob's. If you are running a 300 in the 49 class it is a no no. 300 and 380 are the same stroke.
Quote:Comment by Mark Frazen
300 is 1.375 stroke...380 is 1.500

Some of the later 250's are 1.500 stroke (87cc)
Quote:Steve Welte wrote:
Quote:300 block is 1/16" longer than the 80 cc blocks. I just did one 2 nights ago. It was 1.5" stroke. I thought to it was a 1.375 on first check and looking at the Mac Bob info. I thought Gee I found a 1.375 tapered crank. Wrong it was a 1.5" stroke. How many guys are running 300's as 49's without measuring the stroke because the info is wrong?
 SteveO,

As you are quickly learning here the numbers are a big factor. If you don't have one already the first thing you need to buy is a digital caliper to measure inside and outside dimensions of the parts you are trying to fit together.
Here is a link for the cheapest version I have seen. The same seller has a much nicer product for about $10 more that I recommend but if you really want to save $$ this one will do.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-comp...93293.html

You also need to take a realistic look at what your time is worth. To convert a saw motor to work on a kart can be done without much cash but you'll spend a lot of time searching and researching the bits and pieces you need to make it work. In the meantime, for about the same amount of money you can find complete Mc 91 series kart engines on ebay that you can just clean up and bolt on to run.
If you love to tinker and like puzzles then you are on the right path and guys like Dave and others here who have mixed and matched just about every part there is are a great resource to help. If you want to get on with it without a very steep learning curve you might want to consider buying a motor that is meant for use on a kart and then just worry about cleaning it up and making sure it is ready to run.
Good luck,
Steve O'Hara

Mark Frazen

That's good to know Steve W !!
 Maybe the "later" 300 were 87cc, like the later 250's. ??

I usually use this site for bore/stroke/displacement info.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed...enDocument

Chris Brown,
i was hoping someone could tell me how to get the cover off the block. I removed the flywheel and clutch now im trying to get the cover that goes around the entire motor to come off. i got it to move about 3/16's of an inch but it just wont let go, is there something im forgeting or simply just dont know?

i hope someone can answer that, i promise i have searched and found nothing. but that doesn't mean there is nothing so i could have missed it being talked about here but i did not see it.

im not giving up either, im still looking.

Brian Santee,
to remove the cover you must disconnect the rod from the crank. Then push the piston to the top of the bore. Take two screw drivers and being careful pull the cover off of the block. It will take a good bit of effort at first to get the cover moving. You will also need to position the rod and crank so they will pass by each other.
The crank may still be attached to the side cover to remove it heat the side cover and tap the crank out.

Hope that helps.
Brian Santee

Comment by Brian Thomas
There will be needle bearings on the rod . Don't loose any .
 Make sure the rod cap goes on the same way it came off .
Brian

Dennis Turk,
Some info for you guys as to converting Clinton D-35 and D-65 chain saws to E-65 kart or mini motors. 

Clinton first came out with the E-60 kart engine I think in 58 or 59.  These are nothing more than the D-65 chain saw compete right down to the intake manifold.  They did however cut the handle mounting shoe off the intake but other than a 5/8 strait PTO shaft they are totally a D-65 saw motor.

In my playing around building E-65's from chain saws I did find there are three different PTO configurations Clinton used on there saws.  We made up engineering drawings for these three different PTO's and I sent them to Max Torque and they have them on file.  If you need a clutch they can make you one specific to your crank all you have to do is give them the basic dimensions of the PTO and you will get the correct clutch.

Picture of an E-60 kart motor.

Turk

Messages In This Thread
RE: Converting a mcculloch saw to a mc49 kart motor - by David Luciani - 09-22-2016, 08:05 PM