Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 130

Amazing what all drifts thru my head when not actually working on something. But when I am busy my mind is usually working somewhere else too. So for most of the bus ride home from school I rehashed thru all of the stuff that has taken place lately. Going over everything that had been done so far especially in the last few days.

We finally arrive at our usual bus stop, then along with about half the other students, pile out in our usual brash and disorderly fashion. At first I thought about grabbing some snacks and sodas while up at the local 7-11. But was not sure when or if Chris would be arriving. So decided to hold off for now. We can always take a break and run up here later.

Me and Steve walked together until I had to split off to the right towards my house. I made a straight beeline trip for home. Steve had chores to do but said he might be able to swing by later tonight. He also mentioned about not expecting much work getting done if motor mouth is there helping. I do admit when Chris is here, there is a lot of focus turned towards him and what he has his attention on. He is never short on curiosity or questions. Then the answers he gets even adds more questions to the list.

As I walked passed the alley and rounded the corner, the garage door already open. There was Chris wearing a work apron like a carpenter might use. He was busy wiping down and cleaning the karts. I noticed his kart looked better than it did when he left here about a week back. There was almost a sparkle to it especially sitting next to my not so pretty kart.

Oh hey Terry. Paul just dropped me off about half an hour ago. Your mom told me to do whatever it is I am supposed to be doing today. She said you would be here shortly. Gosh, she is so nice to me. You are one lucky guy. I could get real spoiled living here. Not to mention having a place to work on my kart and stuff like that.

Hey Terry, could you adopt me as your little brother? Please please? Promise I wont make you too crazy. Then he tried out his sad puppy dog eyes on me. Chris started laughing while staying focused on cleaning up the karts.

Even tho he was laughing about that, I bet he was being serious as someone could be and still acting like just joking around. I dont know his family situation, but he sure seems happy when hanging out over here. After he left last time, I got a call every day for the next week following up on what all we had done. Then still more questions he had about other things he were talking about doing.

When I sometimes watch an episode of "Leave it to Beaver", makes me think about my home life. Barbara Billingsley, playing June Cleaver, actually reminds me of my mother. Now there are some big differences. For one thing, my mom is not all dressed up like seen in EVERY episode, especially in the mornings like going to church or some fancy charity function. She just wears mom clothes.

Most mornings, mom is still is a full length robe like you expect your grandmother would likely wear. She could also have her hair all rolled up with curlers and a net of some kind covering over them. A perfect character for some horror movie like "When mom made Wolfmans hair stand up". Or "Godzilla retreats after confrontation with mom". OK, maybe this last one is more likely to be headlines of the local newspaper.

One other big difference is there is not a full course breakfast ready and waiting every morning either. Some days, there might be, but very light weight compared to the restaurant style preparations Mrs Cleaver has ready to serve as everyone comes in fully dressed for work and school.

Getting even more off topic here, but thinking back to a change in the mornings routine. When I was really young, my tighty whites is all I wore when getting up and heading to the breakfast table. My hair was always a wreck and usually had dark rings under my eyes. It was an innocent and happy time. All the way until it stopped. When I got a little bit older this routine stopped cold. I remember it well. Every time I think about it my left ear hurts bringing back that last days memory.

One morning I walked in as usual and plopped down at the table. Then mom grabbed my left ear lifting my body right up from the chair and marched me back to the bedroom. Then she made it very clear, to dress more appropriately before showing myself to everyone else. I was old enough by now to know better. She also mentioned wearing a shirt was not a bad idea either. But did not say this was mandatory or a deal breaker....yet.

Realizing just how much work my mom does everyday, there is no way June Cleaver could do what she does on that show. My mom would not have time to sleep and still be up at 5:00 in the morning already dressed, then prepare breakfast for everyone. It is not realistic at all.

But fortunately my mom is there for me just about every day. Day in and day out. Her personal life is put on hold making sure all of her children are taken care of first. But dont get the misconception that she caters to us either. We have to be responsible about most things or they dont get done.

If I miss laundry day, my clothes do not get washed. Then I have to take care of things myself. That is one thing I hate doing is washing clothes. Yuck! But if I am too lazy to pick up my dirty laundry, mom is not going to do it for me.

This goes for just about everything taking place during the day at home. It does not matter if I am too busy, not here, have guests, or even school obligations. It is part of what has to be done or doesnt get done. So I am responsible for things needing to be done for them to get done. Wow this sounds too much like Confucius, or just too confusing.

From what I do know from talking with Chris, he does spend a lot of time alone while his mom has to work. It is a good thing Paul lets him stay at the shop and keeps him busy doing chores and learning things after school and sometimes on the weekends. I think Chris is like an empty sponge that could absorb everything up around him given half the chance.

I have been so fortunate being mechanically inclined and having a place to exploit my interests. Someone would think this old garage might be a little bit on the shabby side. But is very big and filled with a lot of my projects. I dont know of anyone else that has access to the tools and things I have and even Steve gets to work with here.

Chris seems more than mechanically inclined too. But has never been given the opportunity to find out what he excels at. Or at least something like a hobby to pass the time and keep his brain occupied. I cant imagine how boring it must be for some guys. They dont do much else but come home from school then nothing for rest of the day.

My parents are more lenient with me than Steves are. That is a definite. But they still seem to know where I am most of the time and a good idea of who I hang out with or what I am doing. I have not really kept my visits with Frank completely up front, but not hiding them either.

Saying that mom was not impressed with Frank the first time she met him is a major understatement. She had no intentions of leaving me and Steve at the track with him. I am certain her mom sense was right on target. I had to just about beg her to trust me. But at that time I didnt really know him at all. I only wanted to stay at the track for a few more hours.

There are some things about him I find very unnerving. Well actually a lot of things, but so far he has not shown any signs of being a serial killer. OK maybe a few signs, but that is all. I did actually check the Post Office where they display the "Most Wanted" posters just to be on the safe side.

Being around Frank these last few months has caused me to be more aware of situations and my surroundings. Mainly when around him, so he doesnt accidentally cause me any life threatening or fatal injuries. That sure would be something hard for me to explain to my parents.

I am not sure he is aware of his actions all of the time. But now I try to keep a safe distance from him and both eyes open looking all around. Take nothing for granted around him. This may save my life and others around me.

What I did find strange is how Chris sort of freaked when he first met Frank. I could tell he was scared to death when we went to Franks house. Since we were only there tracing that template to make parts for Chris, I didnt understand why he was so weirded out.

I do understand that Frank gives off negative vibes. Its like a dark cloud comes over you when standing next to him or even looking over his direction. That is some strong negativity he is spreading out there. Almost like your life is draining away when being around him too long. But Chris made it clear he had no intentions of ever coming back over to Franks house with me again.

I was just thinking if ever caught outside during a severe lightning storm. Frank is the very last person I would consider standing next to. You never know where lightning will strike, but not taking any chances around him to find out either. Lightning never strikes the same place twice, but would bet Frank is an exception to that rule.

I remember Frank telling me his military draft was deferred back when he was still in college. Then the war was over right before he finished. If called into service, he knew for a fact his job would be as a sniper. They would probably think he is one of the best the military ever had too.

That first afternoon when I saw his kart sitting in the garage, he had reloading equipment set up on the work bench. He about freaked out from just me looking at everything. Like my eyes would wear off the paint or damage something. Then finally telling me he specialized in precision hand loading wildcats.

From the way he acts, I could just picture something that might get him totally amped up. Like from shooting the heads off ground hogs. He would be laying down in prone position with some monster big sniper scope mounted on a high powered rifle.

Then silently wait for a poor defenseless ground hog to pop its head up from a cubby hole. They are very common in cow pastures especially out on West Texas cattle ranches. Then BOOM! Instant ground hog vapor. He would be rubbing his hands together making laughing sounds like those insane doctors and mad scientists in horror movies.

At first I thought Frank was a complete loon. Now I am sure of it. Well not really, yes really. I am fairly certain there is a disconnect between his hands and his brain. Maybe just a few wires are cut or could be only crossed. Hard to say. But everyone is wired differently. This brings up how my brother thinks and acts. But that is an entirely different story. Not one worth bringing up either.

Then remembering back about the incident with Greg Mullins during the summer too. I still have not figured what was wrong when he stopped over that day with a flat tire on his bike. I think he must have some major issues with his dad. He was holding in some serious anger for whatever reason.

Gregs younger cousin Karla was always bragging at school last semester about her uncle and all of the new homes he built in the area. Most of those homes surround our elementary school are where most of the students live.

Our home here was built a few years earlier than that new sub division. Greg sure let me know what his thoughts were of this neighborhood. My dad always reminds me that this house is paid for in full. The only payments being made now are to the government for property taxes.

My parents bought this house new when they first got married. But it does not look as nice like those brand new ones that are all brick. For a while, I felt like being lower class. But since visiting some of my friends living in the new homes have realized a lot of those families are barely getting by trying to make those house payments.

I was surprised to find out many of these families have little of anything barely more than furniture in their homes. Some only have a single car to rely on. The two car garages look funny without anything inside. Just four bare walls. I would have it full up with things to tinker with.

Dad said having to make monthly house payments along with taxes is like paying for two homes but only using one. No need to waste that kind of money every year. Save what you can and enjoy more time doing things with your family. Also having a big old drafty garage to play around in is a nice bonus too.

Anytime our living situation is brought up, dad harps about some people having to work just to pay for things they already own and cant afford. Dont buy something if you dont have the money to pay for it. Dont rely on credit to live beyond your means. Sometimes you may not have better choices, but never make a habit of being in debt.

He also gave examples of people he knows that bought things on credit. Then a year later no longer even own anymore. But still making those monthly payments for something that is now long gone. What happens when you have to rely on a credit purchase, and it is all maxed out because of impulse buying?

When Greg had made those snide comments about the garage here, it opened my eyes. There is nobody else anywhere in the surrounding neighborhoods that has a garage like we do. I know it is only an ancient building that had been moved here quite a few years ago. But considering all of the tools I have at my disposal, sure is something that has really spoiled me.

When dad decided to add some extra space, he found this 100 year old building for a decent price. Basically for the cost of hauling it here. He had a foundation poured and waited for the old drafty garage to arrive. Then it was carefully lowered down and secured to the new concrete foundation with bolts already sticking up to screw the walls securely in place.

Chris had been waving his hand in front of my face and I just now realized it. Hey Terry are you there? Hello Terry? Huh? Oh sorry Chris, something just got me to thinking.

I would say so. Your face was stuck on pause like Robie the robot after someone flipped off his power switch. What is up? Is there something wrong?

Oh heck no Chris. Just the opposite. Sometimes I think I am the luckiest person in the world. Just dont realize how lucky I really am nearly as often as I should. So what have you been busy with while waiting on me to get home?

I quickly changed the subject away from my thoughts. Sure didnt want to go into detail with what got swirling around in my head just then. Besides explaining everything, then attempting to answer all of the questions after that.

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM