Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 110

I finally got around to picking up some of the developed pictures from the Skillerns drug store a while back. The sales clerk told me about some expired color film that was discounted 50%. At first I didnt think it was worth purchasing at that price. This is before he mentioned the price was 50% off what I was paying for the black and white rolls of film.

He told me the pictures should still come out fine, just might not be so colorful. That is of course if I didnt wait too long before using the expired rolls. Otherwise they should be fine for my intended purpose. I took the chance and picked up a few of them to try out.

I now realize which pictures were taken with the expired rolls of film. There are a few of the pictures showing some color, well sort of color. The intake manifold was the first picture that caught my attention. It was almost the right shade of red. But the other ones did not highlight much color at all. But they are pictures taken of things that are not so colorful anyway. Mostly lesser shades of grey.

The last time I tried color film, only a few of them really came out decent. There were some good pictures of my grandfathers David Bradley chainsaw. But most of the others had no color at all. The rest of them just turned out bad. But that roll of film was way past expiration date and the store was throwing them away.

The store clerk at that time slipped a few of them in my bag. He said dont expect too much. But sometimes the pictures come out fairly good. Even tho they might not have any color. I do remember those last few decent pictures were at the end of the film roll.

So today I was attempting to make these spacers for the intake manifold. Mr Sadeskey walked me thru the shop, then just walked out, leaving me here all alone. I still dont know why I am so jumpy every time when there is a noise. In the shop class, all of the plumbing, electrical and gas piping is hanging exposed overhead.

There are creaks, groans, hisses and pops. Even spooky scraping sounds. Some noises might even be from the spirits of students past. Who really knows? I do know right now, I sure dont like being here in the metal shop all by myself. Dont know when I have been so nervous.

Just one more stop before chucking up the part on the lathe. I needed to center drill each piece. Since there was already a center punched mark for using the divider, I hit that spot with a center drill on the drill press. Just needed to drill deep enough for the live center to seat down in there to hold the part.

Talking about being nervous right now. I am in a strange shop full of all kinds of tools and machines I have no idea how to operate. But it would be so wicked to have a shop like this at home. I might never leave the garage. Maybe even move a cot out there and take up permanent residence.

To machine these aluminum pieces round, all I have to do is close the chuck jaws down tight. Then hold the small multi sided aluminum plate against those jaws. Then run up the tail stock up tight with live center to hold the plate. This keeps my part pressed against the chuck so it cant move. It should also be perfectly centered. Well that is if I dont get crazy with making heavy cuts. My only problem is figuring out how to turn this lathe on.

The lathes they have here in the shop are Clausing models. This one makes my tiny little lathe look like a childs toy from a Cracker Jacks box. After some trial and error, I figured it out. What threw me off at first is the power switch did nothing when I flipped it on. It is just a simple drum switch that has three positions.

When my grandfather helped me rebuild the little Craftsman lathe a few years ago, he went over how everything worked in detail. Then elaborated past even that. He went into depth on how the wiring was run. Then explaining how the switch works.

At the time, most of what he was explaining to me was nothing more than like words written on paper without a dictionary. I didnt understand everything. Actually not much of it at all. But after spending so much time with hands on operating the lathe and working with other equipment, some of that information started making more sense.

Originally the little lathe only had a simple toggle switch. But my grandfather had replaced that thing with a smaller drum switch similar to what is used on the schools lathe here. I was not completely lost figuring this lathe out. Just not taking any chance on screwing things up.

Off is the center position and right or left for forward and reverse. Since nothing made any difference, I looked over and down where the power comes in. There was a small fuse box with the disconnect lever pointing down. After lifting it up, the lathe was running. Maybe I should not have left the switch on before flipping up the power lever on this fuse box.

OK, I am feeling a little bit weak in the knees and need to sit down for a moment. Something I did that was totally stupid on my part. I know better and should have stopped when my gut told me something is not right. I cant believe this happened. Sure glad nobody was around to see me do that.

There is something I figured out about myself some time back. Well not really so long ago. Its when something happens, like what just did now and scares me. Or sometimes when I get caught totally off guard. Instead of panicking, I do a complete shut down. Even my heart stops beating or just slows down. Well maybe it does not change for a moment.

OK more clarification. Yes, my heart rate is getting ready to spike hard. But not until my brain does a complete assessment of what just happened. Like I have heard people sometimes talking about everything going in slow motion for that split second.

If by myself, I can usually figure out what went wrong, like right now. My eyes are moving all around taking everything in, but I am standing here stiff like a statue. No sooner when I realize what went wrong, my heart goes to pounding in my chest. I can feel the burn all over, then become a nervous wreck. All the normal shakes and jitters to follow shortly.

So while fiddling with the lathe trying to figure out how to turn it on, I rechecked the part. Stupid, stupid stupid. My heart is now racing and I cant get calmed back down. It will be a while before I will be able to get any control over myself.

While thinking things over in my head, I grabbed the chuck key just to make sure the jaws were tightly closed. If they are not, the jaws can start to open up while lathe is running. Stupid me left the chuck key in the chuck. This is the stupidest thing anybody can do.

You never leave the chuck key in the chuck. NEVER EVER! I had already figured out the lathe was not getting power. Then rechecked everything, so there would not be another problem when I found out how to turn the lathe on.

But dont ever leave the chuck key in the chuck. For any reason. There is never a reason to take your hands off the chuck key until after you set it down on the work bench or hang it on a tool rack.

When I looked down to the disconnect box, my hand just let go of the chuck key. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!!! Without even thinking, I reached down and pulled the switch up. Then WHAM!!!!

The switch was flipped back off immediately. Out of instinct I quickly ducked down. Then froze there, not even breathing trying to figure out exactly what just happened. What the heck just did I just do? When I looked over at the wall where the noise had come from, there it was. There was the chuck key. It was stuck in the cinder block wall.

Holy crap, what the heck did I just do? The chuck key is stuck in the freaking wall! I forgot to take the chuck key out. Did I mention how stupid that was? I looked all over in the shop and fortunately nobody else was around. WOW, I just screwed up big time.

It took a while when my nerves finally calmed down, even tho my heart was still racing in my throat. I finally collected myself and walked over to the wall. Sure enough that is the chuck key I left in the chuck. It is embedded in the wall. I reached out trying to work it loose, then the chuck key finally gave way and broke free.

What I was really shocked about next is seeing another half dozen or so holes there in the wall exactly where this chuck key had taken flight and embedded itself. There are chunks missing in the wall along with matching holes like the one I just caused.

OK, I am obviously not the first person in metal shop to do this. But this is not something I would usually let slip by. I am good about figuring things out and learning just from watching other people making mistakes. Today I found out first hand by myself why you dont leave the chuck key in the chuck.

My grandfather harped on this every time he came over when we were putting my little lathe back together. It was totally ingrained in my head a long time ago. But today, it is like the first time he told me. I now realize why he kept repeating this over and over.

I really got tired of hearing him go on and on about never leaving the chuck key in the chuck. I thought maybe he was just getting old and forgetting he already told me two hundred and fifty-seven times before.

So my body is still shaking like crazy, almost like a have a high fever. My heart wont stop racing, and I have a bad case of the shakes. After walking around the shop in circles a few times, I headed for the horse trough. That is what the sink in the shop here is called. I splashed some water on my face trying to calm down and get my hands to stop shaking so much.

So I calmed down enough to get back on track. Holy crap again. That chuck key got some serious launch to break thru the cinder block like the way it did. What would of happened it someone was standing in its way? Could it go thru their skull? Crap I am still shaking.

OK, get it together man. Calm down. You learned an important lessen. Fortunately you didnt kill anyone and nobody was around to get hurt this time. Wow, just thinking about being a shop teacher and dealing with this stuff every day? How do teachers handle that much pressure?

I finally get my head screwed back on and now trying to pick up where I left off. The damage to the wall is not noticeable since there is already an obvious pattern there. The chuck key is all beat up anyway, so nothing really looks damaged any more than it was.

Well the lathe is now running, and I have some chips starting to peel off the part. My hands still have the shakes, but getting past my nearly fatal experience. What if Steve were here today helping me work on these spacers? He could be wearing a chuck key right now. I can see us walking down the hall headed to the nurses office to get a chuck key removed from one of our skulls. Holy crap again.

I decided to stick with manually operating the carriage on this lathe. I dont know exactly how to set up and engage the automatic feed. So not chancing that just yet. All I need to do next is ram the tool into the spinning chuck. Well, looking at the chuck I can see I would not be the first person to do that either.

Now I am finally making some progress. In just a few minutes the first one of these aluminum blocks was almost cut out round. About this time is when I heard the school bell ring. I just about jumped out of my skin.

Fortunately my first period class is right across the hall. So there is about 15 minutes before I have to be there. That should be enough time to finish this other part before the last bell sounds off. But now here are the first period students piling in while I am running this lathe.

Crap, just what I need is some of the guys watching me run a machine I have never operated before. I think everything is set up right. But Mr Sadeskey didnt give me any instruction of how to run this lathe yet. He left about 30 minutes ago and had not returned back.

The second bell already rang, as I am just finishing the other part. Mr Sadeskey walked back in and he noticed I was operating the lathe.

I wasnt expecting you to be ready to machine those on the lathe so soon. I figured you would get them cut out on the band saw. But not yet running the lathe this morning. So did you figure out everything? Did you run into any problems? How did they turn out?

They turned out great. Yea, uh, no sir, no major problems. My grandfather tried teaching me to be careful operating machines. One of the things he always reminded me is to never leave the chuck key in the chuck. After I said this, Mr Sadeskey immediately turned his head towards the cinder block wall full of holes. He did this almost instinctively.

Here are the parts, sir. I got his attention back and handed him the two round pieces of aluminum. Mr Sadeskey, I need to clean up the lathe really quick then get to class. I dont want a tardy when I am just across the hall.

Just brush it off and go to class. I will take care of the rest.

Thank you sir. I will be back tomorrow morning to finish these up if that is alright. I just need to figure out the taper that will get cut thru the center.

No problem Rick, I will be here at 7:00 am sharp. It looks like you did a good job on these. I am curious about how they end up looking like when finished.

All this time the other students were trying to get an up and close look of what I was making on the lathe. This was only getting me more nervous and that usually ends with mistakes being made. I sure dont need to repeat what already happened with an audience this time.

First period is for the Power Mechanics class. So all of the other guys coming in to class are ninth graders too. Well right now I am just about ready to bail out of here. A quick wash of my hands, then grabbing my books, I headed out across the hall. As I walked out of the metal shop, my eyes looked over to the cinder block wall that now has my personal touch added to it.

I walked in just as the last bell was finishing up ringing. I gave the teacher a big grin while running down the isle to my drafting desk. Fourth desk down on the right side wall. Why am I still shaking so much?

OK class, today you need to finish up drawing three dimensional rectangular boxes at both 30 and 45 degree angles. When done with that, move to the same on cylinders. I dont want to hear a bunch of talking. I will be right across the hall in the teachers lounge, so I can hear any noise coming out of here.

Wow, this wont take very long. Maybe if there is some time left over I can start sketching these adapter plates when finished. I have been practicing three dimensional figures already, so this will be quick and easy.

About thirty minutes later, I was done with the required work. The teacher was still doing whatever teachers do in the lounge. Likely drinking a bunch of coffee and reading the newspaper.

Since my work for today is finished, I decided to go ahead and sketch out my carburetor spacer. Mainly to look professional with the finished part. I can also calculate the right taper that will be cut thru the center of the round spacer.

Drawing this spacer is simple enough. I have been working on it for about 15 minutes. A simple sketch showing top, side, and bottom. Nothing complicated to draw this time. The dimensions are all here except for the angle of taper. I can include the angle on the blueprint or make sure enough of the information is included for the taper to be accurately calculated. I believe both of these are acceptable for a correctly drawn blueprint. Well it is a draft, not a blueprint. I would have to take this and run it thru the machine to print out copies in blue.

During the time I have been drawing up these spacers, my teacher had walked back in and now looking over my shoulder. That doesnt look like todays assignment. Maybe you would like some homework tonight or do you just want to fail this class?

No sir, I already finished up todays assignment. I handed him my work and thought about getting a little bit cocky. When the teacher usually takes a break, most of the guys screw off and dont bother doing the assignment. Then wait until nearly the end of class before scribbling out something just to get by on.

Well if you put as much effort in your school work as you do personal projects, then might get a decent grade. How about finishing these up, unless you want an incomplete for todays assignment.

Yes sir. Sorry about that. I looked over the drawings and noticed I had not filled in the legend. The scale and date were still blank. At first I had been writing freehand. But picked up a stencil for lettering. It sure makes for nicer work. I also noticed, well when not getting in a hurry, my free hand lettering has been much improving too. But todays attempts at freehand were not so good.

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM