Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 59

Another week and we actually have two nearly complete karts. I am way impressed. Steve had spent most of his more recent earnings on all of those kart parts. He managed to get his dad to take him over to Ward Guys Kart Shop on Harry Hines. There was a cabinet job his dad was working on close by, so Steve bought as much of the parts he had money for. All of this in the few days my eyes were down for a mandatory pitstop and repairs.

So now we are running out of excuses to not having these karts near completion. Every chance I had some spare time by myself, focused on readying those engine parts for final assembly. For the interum I chose to keep the engines stock. Well just copying the Clinton on the Cates kart. The big alteration was to swap out the bushing cranks and rods with needle bearings.

We had enough extra spares. Is that even possible? Extra parts without tearing down any of the mostly complete engines to convert these two engines over. My reasoning is for longevity. We can get very much needed track time. Also less likely to have one fail when we finally get the chance to race.

The weekend races dont have tech and nobody is going to complain since we are not going to be competitive anyway. I wanted track time, not working on the engines in the pits trying to band-aid them if something fails. This makes lots of sense to me.

After what seemed like all summer we are making serious headway. The final pieces were welded on the new frame. I was able to weld on these parts myself. The bearing hangers were thick enough for me to be comfortable doing the work without burning thru the rails.

Maybe all this time learning and practicing is starting to pay off. I spent lots of evenings just running beads. At first I wasnt too happy. But didnt take long before the welds were acceptable. The welds looked more than decent now and I was not at all concerned they would fail. Sometimes you just know this when everything goes well.

It was so tempting to go ahead and test drive one of the bored out carburetors. But for some unknown reason, common sense ended up prevailing. I chose to leave these first two carbs stock. Just copied the HL-15 and assembled an extra one. They are all the same size, just different fuel passages and circuits. Maybe eventually I might get brave enough to try out a modified carburetor and will hopefully breathe better. It sure cant hurt. Well I hope that is the case.

Since there was only one Palmini intake manifold with the pyramid reed assembly, I chose to use the stock intake manifolds. After some blending to decrease turbulence, I also changed the reed petals to ones from the chainsaw engines. They are a lot larger. It didnt take too much altering to make them fit. But the reed openings are now really big. I like that.

For these first two manifolds, I opened them up much more from stock. If they really make a difference, then I will go back and make them ever larger. But for now, just need to get the engines together and running. Maybe later with a bored out carburetor and more free flowing intakes, well I can dream. One step at a time.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4750]
intake manifolds

I traced the outline of reed petal, then ground the openings just a hair smaller and thinned the bridge in between. The passage was opened up best that I could do all the way back to the carburetor flange. It seemed the logical approach to making the stock ones work better. So I was hoping again.

The first kart put back together complete is obviously the Cates. It was almost finished originally before we decided to tear the engine all apart. This turned out to be a very good call tho. We have learned a ton of things because of all the time researching, reading magazine articles and repair manuals.

Without too many setbacks Steves kart was finally coming together. It is really impressive looking too. We made some stupid compromises initially. Just to get the kart assembled. But before it was even started up, we went back through everything that was not really smart and tried to fix it. At least better than it was at first.

Dad made several surprise inspections during assembly. He caught plenty of things that were just not right. After some explanations and rework on a few details, I was much more confident that both karts were getting very close to being ready.

We keep pushing forward. A trip up to Gasset for a new clutch had to happen. While there, Mr Grimes had mentioned of another possible work day, if I was interested. Yes definitely, if only there were a few more days in every week. Then might be able to get all this stuff done before summer gets too far along.

By now I was all out of my savings money for the karts. Well my piggy bank money anyway. But it was there for that purpose. The engines started adding up on costs too. Like for gaskets, diaphragm kits, new chain, a few extra gears, spark plugs, gas, oil, throttle cables, nuts and bolts. It just never seemed to end.

I had already mowed my grannys yard several times. Tried my best to hold on to that money. Ms Tally also got the yard treatment a few times. Days seemed to be passing so fast, I didnt even get much covered on all of the work we did already.

I need to go back and take pictures of some things so the journal we are keeping on the build will be up to date. Right now it is weeks behind. Lots of hand scribbled notes, but nothing organized like it should be. Seems like getting the actual work done has taken up so much time, didnt leave any left for the documentation to stay current.

Finally in the middle of the afternoon, Steve and I have both karts together and working. In the last couple of days, we have pushed each other around taking turns on both karts. Even pulled them behind our bikes. But now the engines are done everything is in full swing, and ready for our first test run.

Out in the street the plan is we are going to just do a quick couple of passes and see what problems still need to be addressed. With both the karts sitting side by side running, we give each other a thumbs up. After all the time we have put in to getting this far, well its time to go! And like right now.

Since the motors are assembled with existing used parts, there is no reason to be worried about break in or issues with that. By now they have been started numerous times. Just not connected and with a driver present. We both hammer down on the gas and go launching forward, then headed to our destination, which is at the end of the street.

The street is only a block long. It is a dead end to a rocky field with dirt paths leading away in several directions. We were not going all that fast at first. Just hitting the throttle and backing off. Making sure the kart stops, and nothing falls off or breaks in two pieces. At the end of the street we make a quick turn around and now just go all out racing each other back the other way.

What I thought was interesting is how much these little motors smoked. There were separate trails of the routes we both took down the street from our first run. I can see the coiled trails of smoke from Steves zig-zagging back and forth all the way down. Except for one jog, mine was mostly just a straight line to end of the street.

There was even big puffy plumes when we were on the gas and voids from letting off. This is super cool to see. There is no doubt from all the noise we were making right now, several people were looking to see what it was all about. No reason to stop there. How many runs should we make today?

The fun factor is way off the scale. Both karts seemed to run equally close to each other. But without actual on track conditions, hard to tell how well the engines would do in real competition. Maybe if it were just me and Steve racing against each other, then might be real close. But running in a straight line doesnt make for any solid conclusions.

We make another turn around and head back down to the dead end. Then turn back around again on our final run just in time to see Sheriff Andy Taylor hitting the gumball machine lights on top of his black and white 1960 Ford Galaxie. Oh CRAP! We are in trouble now. Me and Steve just got caught. We are guilty as charged. This isnt going to go well.

As we pull off to the side of the road and kill the engines, the smoke trail catches up. I see it isnt really Sheriff Taylor. That just happened to be the first thing going through my mind when the lights started flashing. If it was him, ole Barney Fife would be stepping out of the passenger side of police car. Maybe even waving his pistol around and yelling at both of us. You darn kids! Just about the time his pistol goes off and his one and only bullet has been discharged.

It is amazing how much can drift through your mind in those split seconds when you are no longer in control of a given situation. Now is just about not in control as I could ever imagine. I am guessing it is somewhere around 4:30. It seems matters could only go down hill from here. And naturally, then it gets worse. Dad is coming home from work. He was just driving down the hill on Longhorn while we were stepping out of the karts on Bar-X.

If guilty needed a picture, it would be me and Steve right now. We are busted. Twice in fact. Not only by the two police, but dad as well. For all this work trying to get ready and start racing for real, may have just come to an abrupt halt for good.

The police officer that was driving is talking on the police car radio. Dad is now walking across the street after parking at home. Should I wave hello, or look like I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar and show remorse? How can I make this situation work out and not end up with a criminal record?

You boys live around here somewhere, I presume? Yes sir, that is my dad walking over right now. Do you know if is unlawful to drive unregistered vehicles on a public road. Me and Steve are obviously screwed right now. Doesnt matter what we say or do. They might as well slap the cuffs on right now and get it over with. Haul us down to the station and book us on who knows on how many charges.

Yes I have seen every episode of Highway Patrol and Dragnet. The first year of The Andy Griffith Show didnt come off so much as real life scary like the others. But right now it doesnt matter. We are busted. Cold busted. I wonder if I should keep my mouth shut and consult an attorney? Where is Perry Mason when you need him? I wonder if my GET OUT OF JAIL FREE card from Monopoly will work? Yea right!

While the Barney Fife guy is rattling on about all of the laws we have broken and possible charges that could be brought against us, I see dad is having a serious talk with the other police officer. He doesnt really look very happy either. I may not ever get the chance to see a kart track again. Well maybe when I am 21 years old and finally released from Juve.

Dad walks over and says there is nothing he can do right now. We both broke the law and it is out of his hands. Actions have consequences. Sometimes growing up can be a bumpy road to ride on. Oh come on dad, you can do a better analogy than that one. Its not like I am still 12 years old anymore. So anyway this doesnt sound good at all. The other officer nods his head to the Braney Fife cop. This is when things get strange.

Alright you delinquent kids! Put your hands on the police car and spread your legs. He gets his baton and starts popping it between my legs trying to get them spread. OK, this is getting serious. I look back over at dad. He just hunches his shoulders with his hands up. I am sorry son. You broke the law. Time to grow up.

Then Barney pats me down rather briskly. Reaches in my pocket and pulls out a small screwdriver. OK, this is a potential deadly weapon. A concealed weapon. Add another charge. He grabs my left hand and twists it around and behind my back. I am getting cuffed right now. Steve is staring at me with a look of total disbelief.

This Barney cop directs me to the back door of police car. Opens the door and says watch your head. At the same time, pushing my head into the drip rail on top of door opening. This would have really hurt, had it not been his hand was on that side of my head. My head made a solid thud sound, but no injury or pain inflected.

So here I am sitting in the back seat of a police car. Sure hope Barney doesnt find Steves pocket knife. I am watching Steve getting the same treatment that I was just put through. He is loaded in the other side of car in back seat next to me. The police officer says to keep our faces pointed forward and no talking to each other while in custody.

Both police officers are now discussing things with dad. He shakes his head in agreement about something and then stands there with hands on his waist. The police are now in the car and we are driving off. All I can do if look around behind me and see my dad for the last time as he fades away while we ride off in the police car.

With the lights flashing and siren blaring, we speed away. I am totally lost with what has conspired. Steve and I sort of look over at each other trying not to turn our heads. We are both cuffed with hands behind our backs. This is about the most uncomfortable I have ever felt sitting in a car. Nothing but a big lump in my throat right now. Am I too old to cry? I really wanted to, but too afraid on getting another charge thrown at me.

Back down Bar-X, where I can still see smoke floating, then the car turns up Kingswood. We are topping the hill and at the end of the street now. They make a right turn and go past the next intersection. Then we pull in to the 7-11 parking lot. The Barney police officer said it will be just a few minutes. This just happens to be their break time. They both go in while we are stuck in the back seat.

I look over at Steve. He has that same look on is face as I am feeling right now. We are really too scared to say anything. But I decide to ease the tension. Hey Steve, think we can make a break for it right now? The doors are unlocked. Steve looks back over at me and just goes off.

Are you freaking nuts!!!!! We have been arrested. We are going to jail right now. You wanna make a break for it? I am dead meat! My dad is going to disown me! Are you serious? You cant be that stupid! He just looks away in disgust. Sorry Steve, I was just trying to lighten the mood here. I am scared shitless too.

Yes, I said that right then. Because I was. There was really not a better word in the whole unabridged English dictionary that could describe how scared I was at that moment. Of crap, here they come. We better keep quite like they said.

Well, you guys are probably dehydrated from all the dangerous stunts both of yall just pulled. Which one of you likes Mountain Dew? Did I hear what I thought just now? I look up and the police officer has one in his hand. He opens the back door and has both of us lean forward. I am going to cuff you two together. This way will give a free hand for your drinks. Dont try anything stupid either. Anyone up for a Coke?

Now me and Steve are sharing one set of cuffs. His right hand is cuffed to my left hand. Sitting next to each other and now drinking some pop. Just what each of us happens to like. OK boys hold on. We have another stop to make. The driver then slams the car into gear and we speed down the long dirt road behind the 7-11.

This runs right in to the street that Steve lives on. He is really freaking out now. The tires on this police car are squalling as we fly by his house. He ducks down as we pass by. They make a right turn then another left. We are back on Bar-X and come to a stop at the corner. Right back in front of the two karts still sitting where we left them just a few minutes ago.

Dad is standing there with a big grin on his face. Steve and I are at a total loss. OK boys this party is over. Better get out before we change our minds. Sure hope we dont have to meet up like this again. The police help us exit the car. You boys take care now. They wave as the car drives off.

So you guys have anything to say right now? I am sorry dad. We knew better. But just couldnt resist. What just happened here? What was that all about? I thought we were really going to jail. If you prefer I can arrange that. Didnt you recognize those two? That was Ronnie Bardin and James Baker. You go to church with Ronnies brother. James is Joe Bakers older brother. I cant believe you fell for all that.

Dad, but arent they real cops? Well yes, they are. Would you rather be on your way down to the precinct right now? Maybe get booked for who knows how many laws you two broke earlier. Ok, dad then how come we didnt?

Son, you got lucky today. The police dont go around arresting kids for being kids. Besides the paper work involved to process you two would be a nightmare. Then you would just get released back to me. I doubt they really wanted to waste all that time on a couple of low rent wannabe criminals like you two guys.

So we are not in trouble then? No son, both you boys are in big trouble. Just not with the police this time. How about getting those karts back in the garage. I hope you two have learned something today. If not I could add some punishment above and beyond what I have in mind right now.

No thats alright. Whatever you had planned will be just fine dad. Right Steve? Oh yes sir, no need to put yourself out too much sir, whatever you had already decided is just fine by me too sir. Ok Steve that is a little bit over the top dont you think?

Me and Steve both find ourselves sort of lost with what has just conspired. Did dad really save our butts, or is it not regular practice for kids to be cited for breaking the law if not really criminal intent?

As we are standing there in the street, Steve just lets it out. Dang it! We left our drinks in the cop car. That sucks big time. Gee Steve, we could have really be arrested and down at the station right now. Is it really that terrible?

All this time Steve and I had been standing right next to each other. We were basically sharing each others shadow. In all this excitement, neither of us had realized we are still handcuffed to each other. Steve, those drinks are the least of our problems right now. I hold up my hand as his follows it. Oh yea, we gotta problem.

Again we are both standing there short on words. Not like this is anything I have experienced before. It could have been real. We could have been in big trouble. I cant imagine being a juvenile delinquent before even making it to the 8th grade.

Out in the distance I hear sirens. My heart skips a beat for a third time today. First was the Excitement from driving the karts, then The Frightment of the cop car. Now The Return of the cop car. Wow that makes two sequels.

The sirens are getting closer now. I just freeze there in middle of the street. Everything we have just been through comes crashing back down in my mind. Around the corner I see the sirens making all the noise. It is another police car speeding in our direction. On noes, not again.

The police car makes a screeching stop right in front of us. It is the same officers that had just released us and left. I thought we had a discussion earlier about running karts on public streets. Now we find you two boys out here again. Me and Steve just stand there without words, still cuffed together. If there was ever a brainless moment, it was now.

The skinny cop, does look like Stephen Bardin, so it has to be his older brother Ronnie, just starts laughing, then holds up the two drinks left in their car. You guys really should be more responsible. I lift up my hand with Steve attached to me by way of handcuff.

Officer Ronnie Bardin, who would really make a perfect younger version of Barney Fife, gets out of the car. Oh yea we might need these for the next bad guys. Sorry about that. How about a trade? So he removes the handcuffs and we swap out for the cold drinks. We take our drinks and say thanks as they drive off again. Wow too much drama in one day. What if this had been for real?

Attached Files
.jpg   intake manifolds.jpg (Size: 573.89 KB / Downloads: 113)

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM