Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 57

Another day me and Steve are out just beating a dead horse in the garage again. We have been going on and on about what direction should be taken to start racing. All of our options seem to have some type of hitch. Always a snag along the way. Usually coming up short due to money or time constraints. Steve is complaining about me spending too much time obsessing about what modifications could be done on the engines when we dont even have the kart completely finished yet.

There is one issue that keeps coming up with having only one kart to share. That is causing some tension between us. How hard could it be to build another kart Steve? It wouldnt be much different than repairing the Cates. We sort of replaced most of that frame anyway. Why not copy it close as we can? Then work on a pair of engines. It sounds like a solid enough plan. But things keep coming up that take us away from our target.

So Terry, do we have enough tubing to copy this frame? Sure, there is tons of it left. More than enough. Good then lets do it. Stay focused on doing nothing else but building another frame until we are finished. I can come over just about every day. We work together this way and get it built. I know we can do it. Ok? Sure, Steve, if you think it will work out. Then lets make something happen this time.

Later that evening after dinner I talked everything over with dad. He asked how confident I was to proceed with this plan. I didnt see any other alternative right now. We both want to race. But only one kart to share isnt really going to work out so well. Dad seemed to agree with me on this.

I asked if he would help out welding so there was no danger of that holding things up. He said if I focused on setting the frame parts and mock up a simple jig to hold them, then he would put the time in and make sure the welding was taken care of. Under the one condition I was there thru every step until his part was finished.

It would be prudent for me to learn everything I could while he was doing this part of the work. If I didnt think it was that important to stay involved with this step of the build then it wasnt worth it to him offering his time. I agreed without hesitation. I understood about not being out playing around somewhere else while we was here welding my project together.

So for the next week I focused solely on making the components to another frame. I had already made a jig of sorts from wood planks the last time repairing the Cates. It should work just as good again. Make sure to double check the measurements before everything gets welded solid. I can tack the sections together when things are right. Then maybe get dad to look it over really carefully and make sure there is nothing that has been overlooked.

That first half of the week was a nightmare. Nothing seemed to work out as I was expecting. I cut the tubing too short, got the angles wrong. Steve didnt drill holes in the right place. We kept getting in each others space, way too much. It was getting frustrating. The week was far from being over, but we needed a break from each other. I finally gave up for the day and went inside and did nothing but watch tv. Steve left earlier feeling the same way.

While watching an episode of The Rifleman, my mind was somewhere else. It was focused on the mistakes I kept making and why they happened. Eventually me and my brain shut down without any warning. I woke up the next day much later and still in the family room listening to static on the TV. It was quiet and dark outside. But I was wide awake. Time to make some progress. Everyone else was still well asleep.

I looked in the old fridge next to the sofa in the family room to see if there was another Mountain Dew stashed in there. Sure enough, but only one was left. It was nice and cold. Even a little bit of ice formed on the bottle. Perfect. This will hit the spot. I drink way too many of these things.

My throat was dry and parched. I must have fallen asleep with my mouth wide open. It needed some massaging bubbles to wash out that gritty feel. A major sugar fix was something that was needed too. So out to the garage I went and then just let my fingers do what they do best sometimes. But other times they tend to do not so well. I started out again and cut more tubing.

Checking angles, carefully making sure I had right and left side pieces cut exactly the same this time. The sun rose without any indifference from me. Right now I didnt care what time it was. By noon, I was sitting there feeling really good about myself. Every part of this new frame was cut and almost ready for welding together. I stayed with it.

At first I wanted to stop and reward myself for finally accomplishing something. For what reason tho? I wasted enough time already this week and now playing catch up. Afternoon made its way and then left with the sun hanging low in the western sky. I was beat. The kart frame pieces fit together better than any previous attempts. I was satisfied and ready to tack weld all the parts in place.

Dad comes in after shortly after I had called it quits for the day. It was time for some life saving nourishment. I was hungry. After a short conversation with him, I retired to the kitchen. Mom had been thoughtful enough to make a plate for me and left it in the fridge.

There was great big heaping bowl of Wolf Brand Chili. A stack of Saltines, shredded cheddar cheese and diced onions piled on the plate. OK, this will work great. After heating the chili back up, I scarf down everything there on the plate.

Then my mouth opened with an uncontrollable yawn. I could not shake it off. Right in the middle of me stretching my jaw, a loud belch made its way out of my mouth. Man that felt good. I looked around hoping nobody else was in the burp zone. Thank goodness, that would have been totally uncouth.

I immediately head back outside to the garage a little bit tired but in very good spirits. Dad was measuring the diagonals and straight lengths of the frame sections. You look beat, he tells me. Are you up to getting this frame welded tonight?

From nowhere I had a huge burst of new energy. Yes sir, I am more than up to it. OK, then lets get started. It looks like you have this setup more than close enough to make a good frame. Can you hand me the welding hood over there? Flip the switch on the welder so we can get started.

Dad spent over an hour arc welding the frame together. I held parts, even using the hammer handle to push down some places. Way too many times I didnt get my eyes closed fast enough when the welding started. There is a reason for wearing that hood with a very dark lens.

If that arc struck before my eyes were closed I was first blinded then saw white spots every time. This caused me to sit back and wait a few minutes rubbing my eyes and waiting for them to adjust back to normal again. I need to close my eyes when dad warns me. But I wanted to make sure everything is exactly right before the welding starts.

In a somewhat state of near exhaustion, I realized dad had finished up all of the welding. Even the spindles were completely done. But now everything was sort of moving in slow motion. Dad puts his arm around me and we go in to the house.

Boy, I think you need to hit the hay. But first go wash your hands and face before retiring. You look like a train wreck. I had no argument there. Thanks for your help dad. After a quick scrub, I face planted into my pillow and was gone for the night.

Sometime around noon the next day I opened my eyes. They were sort of burning and very sore. My vision was worse than blurry. This feels like sand in my eyes. Right then I knew what the problem was. Even tho I tried my best not to stare at the welding, there was too many times I got blinded when dad had struck an arc.

While making sure everything was clamped or held correctly, I didnt always get my eyes closed in time. This is going to suck, bigly. For the next couple of days, my eyes are going to sting and feel like gas had been splashed in them. You are never supposed to watch while someone is welding. It does burn your eyes.

Fortunately mine are just slightly torched. The pain tho is going to make me miserable until the tiny blisters go away. Today I decided to stay bedridden. Lights were kept off, and I didnt do much else but wait until the pain subsided.

Mom and dad had checked me over thoroughly and relieved my eyes were not severely burned. But even with a light dose of misery, the pain is still tough to deal with. Dad knew exactly what happened when I first told him my eyes hurt. My explanation of the pain and sight had reassured him the danger was minimal but still be slow to pass.

Just a reminder to never find yourself looking at something being welded. It can cause permanent damage and even blindness. I assured him it would not happen again. This pain even tho minor compared to what could have been more serious is not one I want to ever experience again.

Much later that evening I was up to getting around. I have heard that your eyes heal faster than any other parts of your body. That I am thankful for. The pain was not as unbearable, but any amount of light brought back the unconscionable burn I had experienced earlier.

I did eat a normal meal, but alone in the dark. Afterwards I didnt feel any reason not to retire back to bed. Sooner than later. It was an uncomfortable night, waking several times finding out I had been rubbing my eyes while asleep.

This didnt help subdue the pain. Well it did, but only while I was rubbing them. Naturally it just got much worse. Time for a couple of St Josephs childrens aspirin and I returned to bed. Mom always reminded me never go past recommended dosage on the bottle, but since I was a big kid now, thinking two should work twice as good.

The next morning I woke early in a better state of mind. My eyes were crusty feeling. But not like the sandpaper feel from the day before. More mellowed over. But the crusty buildup had kept me from being able to open my eyes. They were more or less glued shut. Instead of going off in total freak out mode, I resided to lay back down and enjoy the lesser bit of pain with my eyes nailed shut for now.

Sometime after noon, I woke again. This time feeling much better. My eyes were still stuck closed, but the pain was now easily bearable. I rubbed them slightly and broke the crust loose. At first just the slightest amount of light caused my eyes to burn intensely again. Then as they adjusted the pain subsided.

Just keep my eyes looking down and it was now tolerable to see again. Wow that was miserable. I dont want to ever go down this road again. Dad said this was only a minor case of blisters. I could not even fathom it being any worse.

By the evening, I was up and moving around. Had a pair of those temporary medical eye glasses on. Seems everyone that has been to the eye doctor at one time has a pair around. I found them on my desk. Dad must have put them there while I was asleep.

I get up enough nerve to head outside since the moon was full up tonight. It was bright but not the painful feeling like earlier in the afternoon. Mom had called the doctor and explained the problem. He sent a prescription to get picked up from the drug store. Some eye drops to ease the severity of the pain and an antibiotic to prevent infection.

Except to the slight amount of excessive tears my eyes were experiencing they felt a lot better. I could at least focus on things. Just couldnt stare too long without the pain returning. Mom gave me the lecture about not getting involved in anything for the next couple of days. No watching the television either. Indoors and mostly resting my eyes.

I realized this was going to be a problem. My eyes were feeling much better after the drops and I had renewed strength from that drain being lifted. I was ready to get back even if only semi-focused on the kart. A guy can go crazy doing nothing for very long.

A quick trip out to the garage and I saw someone had been already working on what I left in the temporary jig from a couple of nights ago. The kart frame had been scrubbed clean and partially assembled. We had most of the parts to get is going back together. But still needed several things to assemble much farther along.

The frame had been cleaned down to raw metal. I saw there were tabs welded to bottom of frame now for the floorpan to bolt up. Just exactly what Mr Cates had suggested we do to the old one. Man this looks a lot better than the original frame. Sure hope it works as well.

I had not talked to Steve since my little mishap. But he stayed focused on the kart by himself. I noticed a new 5/8" steering shaft kit from Azusa. Also a set of wheels, along with sprocket hub and a Bendix brake. Most of these were used parts, but looked just fine.

There was a couple of 1/4 inch rods and even another Cates butterfly steering wheel. It had one of the arms welded, but the repair didnt seem to be any problem. Hum, wonder where Steve came up with this stuff?

On the welding table, Steve had already cut some long thin steel plates that were triangular in shape. Also some thicker pieces cut out matching the bearing hangers for rear axle. Wow! Looks like this kart is going to really happen. And soon.

As I walked back in the house, my body just stopped and froze there. I realized we dont have any motors that run yet. Only boxes of old parts. Guess I need to get it in gear and commit to making a pair of engines happen. And like really soon!

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM