Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My start in vintage dave l.
The kid "across the street" raced Junior with our group in Brevard Co., Florida. He had a pal named Clinton Rogers who hung around us and went to the track a few times with us. Clinton drove the neighbor's Bug a few times, and it was obvious he had talent. His step=pop was a contractor with a glass eye and a cigar that hung out the side of his mouth opposite the glass eye. Clifford. Clinton bugged heck out of Clifford for a kart. Clifford's reply was always: "Ya don't NEED no God-D$*$ money!" After months of bugging Clifford, he finally decided to buy Clinton a kart. He didn't particularly like either me or my Pop, and he refused to buy a Bug or Go Kart from us, so he went and bought a Sears kart with dual '58 Power Products engines. Of course, Clinton wasn't allowed twin engines in Junior, so he had to take one engine off the heavy beast. Poor kid was up against Bugs, Darts Foxes and Go Karts, most of which had built Mac 6's on board. Clifford wouldn't pay for decent tires or for any speed equipment ("Ya don't NEED no God D$*$ money"), so my Pop gave Clinton some good tires and a Mac 10 carb and Homelite reed manifold. After weeks of being eaten by modified Mac 6's on light karts, he gave up. I still don't know what became of the Sears kart. This is all true. Ted

Messages In This Thread
My start in vintage dave l. - by David Luciani - 01-19-2016, 12:20 PM
RE: My start in vintage dave l. - by steve welte - 03-06-2016, 07:42 PM
RE: My start in vintage dave l. - by Scott Elkes - 04-10-2017, 12:57 PM
RE: My start in vintage dave l. - by ted johnson - 04-10-2017, 02:40 PM