Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smilin Dave's Dream Build.
From time to time smiling Dave says he's going to put a stroker crank in his mighty muscle Mc10 and blow everyone right off the track.   I recently discovered something that would make Dave's MM Mc10 look like a girlie man's toy.

Last summer I bought a ratty Mc30 parts motor because it had a decent Max Torque clutch on it.   It had no manifold so it was easy to see that the upper intake ports had been butchered beyond hope.  I finally pulled the clutch off recently and was going to sell the motor on ebay for practically nothing.  However, I noticed that the head gasket was pretty thick so I decided to take the motor apart before I put it up for sale.  I pulled the head, turned the motor over and the top of the piston popped out of the cylinder by about 30 thousandths.  The piston ran down the cylinder 1.8 inches!  Someone (once upon a time) had put a +50 piston and a MC70 crank in the engine.

At room temperature the crank was too big to remove through the unmodified side cover hole.  At a really high temp I was able to persuade the crank to exit the block with some assistance from a tire thumper like the truck drivers use.  I suspect that installing the crank would go easier because the block would have expanded and the room temperature crank would be a bit smaller than my superheated one I pulled out.  It's pretty likely this stunt would work in MC 40's & 45's too.

To avoid the temptation to make a budget busting pilgrimage to Wiseco the next time I'm in Ohio, I sold the piston on ebay.  The difference in pin location between a stroker piston and a regular 6.1 piston is quite remarkable.  I hate to think how much a few custom pistons like that would cost.  

When ebay settles down from PTSD from two major hurricanes and firestorms without end, I will sell the crank.  It wasn't going to and won't go in the MC40 I was planning to put together for Bushnell for sportsman before I found out that now any 6.1 mac goes.  At 230 pounds I don't think there's much I can do to a single carb mac to stay within sight of the skinny guys anyway.

I had no idea that 1.835 cranks had worked their way into the super series 6.1 because I started karting just before the Mc90 marked the end of the super 6.1's.  If you see smiling Dave scarfing up Mac 30s, 40s, and 45s you will know he has abandoned the MM Mc10 for a supersized super mac.

Smokey

Messages In This Thread
Smilin Dave's Dream Build. - by Blaine Young - 12-14-2017, 11:37 PM
RE: Smilin Dave's Dream Build. - by Jim Donovan - 12-15-2017, 08:53 AM
RE: Smilin Dave's Dream Build. - by steve miller - 12-15-2017, 09:17 AM
RE: Smilin Dave's Dream Build. - by Jim Waltz - 12-15-2017, 10:31 AM
RE: Smilin Dave's Dream Build. - by steveohara - 12-15-2017, 09:33 PM
RE: Smilin Dave's Dream Build. - by Blaine Young - 12-15-2017, 10:08 PM
RE: Smilin Dave's Dream Build. - by Blaine Young - 12-15-2017, 11:07 PM
RE: Smilin Dave's Dream Build. - by David Luciani - 12-16-2017, 11:53 PM
RE: Smilin Dave's Dream Build. - by Blaine Young - 12-17-2017, 08:06 AM
RE: Smilin Dave's Dream Build. - by David Luciani - 12-18-2017, 12:20 PM