Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off shoot to "why" (a discussion about vintage kart events and ideas going forward)
I would like to introduce myself as I am totally new to kartting, I had a kart as a youngster and actually watched the races out in Westhampton on Long Island wanting to be like those kids.  I am now 47 and for the past 15 years or so have been trying to do all of the thing's that I dreamed about as a kid without the means to do it young.  I am not dead yet so lets do it all, that's how I live my life.  
I think the thread of "why" has become "how", how do we foster the growth of karting?  I was one of the fathers of collecting BMX, I hosted and led events around the country and had a blast doing it, but then it just like kartting seems to have, BMX hit a high point and only the truest stayed true.  The events starting fading, communication lessened and we as a group found other things to do.  But BMX has hit another high point with the older group, reproduction and retro bikes.  Guys are buying the next cool thing, getting together to casually ride, trading and buying stuff on forums.  I will tell you that I am a big car guy and the custodian at my school is as well.  As soon as I found vintage karting I showed him some pics and he was in.  But he does not want to restore or buy a finished kart, he found "go kart alley" and was like dude can we build our own kart and race it from this kit?  Old school inspired looks.  Is that a direction you should look at as a new focus for karting, would someone build there own and then find an appreciation of the past and say maybe I need some an old karts as well.  So is a retro class necessary to foster the growth of the vintage?  Cheap and easy to start out in.  
On a final thought for now, the group you need to target has a wife and family, committing to a three day go kart event is a big commitment, making it a one day event would be much easier and affordable for them to participate in. Hope I did not insult anyone just a beginners point of view

Messages In This Thread
Off shoot to "why" (a discussion about vintage kart events and ideas going forward) - by johnnyrocket - 11-02-2017, 09:21 PM
RE: Off shoot to "why" - by steve welte - 11-02-2017, 10:37 PM
RE: Off shoot to "why" - by johnnyrocket - 11-03-2017, 05:12 AM
RE: Off shoot to "why" - by Al Postiglione - 11-02-2017, 10:47 PM