Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caveat Emptor
The clutches for gear reduction models are fairly unique. They are a little different in operation than standard centrifugal clutches. This one is salvageable enough to cleanup and use if needed. It is also simple enough to weld a 9 tooth sprocket in place of this gear. These are also oil bath clutches. It would not be too hard machining a ring for drum to pres in and bolt a side cover to. Early oil clutches from original period correct parts. Hmmm.

Outside of block cleaned up fairly well, considering whats broken. The piston had become a permanent fixture. I had to persuade it with some serious leverage. This is an arbor press in the 30 ton range. It stands about 7 feet tall. I bought it originally to rebuild three piece cranks in the usual Komets, Yamahas, 125 shifters, etc. It took a lot of umph on the bar to even get piston motivated. It took the same pressure to push all the way out bottom of cylinder. I would say beyond a normal press fit.

Not real pretty is it? Oh well the saw is all apart and just about every piece went to the scrap bin. Block will survive if lower intake mounting bosses weld back with out an issue. Otherwise this block is not going to have much chance for another life. I picked up a 0.030" oversized piston just in case this block works out. I think it will clean up at this size. If I need to go bigger, may have to locate a quick time piston from the 100cc engines to use instead.

I have purchased several saws that appeared in a lot worse condition than this one. But they were all salvageable to some point. This one I may have to write off. Or use it for mill fodder to work out a better way of adding boost ports to fixed head blocks. And if nothing else is worth the effort, I have a completely dead carburetor body that can be used to see how far the throttle bore, venturi, and air horn can be machined out. Who knows. A few saws I purchased actually did look a lot worse than this one judging from the limited pics seller offered without any description. But they are currently good running wood choppers or future kart engines. Despite their outward appearance, internals were in very good  condition. You win some.   

Anyone buying on auction sites have been a little disappointed at one time or another. I look at it as a lesson to be learned The items I have purchased have far outweighed the few disappointments encountered. One of my bigger let downs was winning an item that someone didnt even own to sell yet. He was involved in horsetrading some parts and listed all of the stuff before having possession of anything. I was more than just a little mad. Paid for it and getting the run-around week after week. It was something I had been looking for quite a long time. I did finally get refunded and with a big apology. Well life goes on. For everything else there is Mastercard...

Messages In This Thread
Caveat Emptor - by Terry Bentley - 04-30-2017, 01:54 AM
RE: Caveat Emptor - by Terry Bentley - 04-30-2017, 09:09 PM