Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to take off a mcculloch flywheel
(03-23-2017, 10:13 PM)ken northside Wrote: I just had one that was on so tight it just pulled the threads out of the flywheel  I made a puller that I could bolt to the flywheel. I bottom taped the 1/4 X 20 in the flywheel so I could use the longest 1/4 bolts used a 1/2 fine bolt as the pusher got it nice and tight and gave it a good rap with a good size hammer and out came the 1/4 bolts out of the flywheel. next was to  drill the flywheel so I could get the to the bolts that hold the side cover on got them out so I could get the crank out of the block. I got the crank side cover and flywheel out of the block next was to use a hacksaw to cut  the side cover up small enough so I could support the flywheel next was to machine up a ring to fit the flywheel I have some steel tube about 5" in diameter 1/4 wall about 7"long with the ring and the tube the crank had about 1" clearance next was 3 Lbs hammer  and a hunk of 1" steel as a punch  one good rap and it came apart with a good bang. saved the block and  crank flywheel and side cover junk ken

If you use a puller and the threads fail in one or both of the threaded holes in the flywheel just drill the hole out to the right size for a 5/16 tap and re-thread the hole(s).
As long as you are careful with the drill you can go all the way through the flywheel so you can tap the entire depth of the hole(s)
Steve O'Hara

Messages In This Thread
RE: how to take off a mcculloch flywheel - by steveohara - 03-24-2017, 02:04 AM