Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PVL coil advice (820 Power Bee)
(06-17-2018, 06:25 PM)Kevin Davis Wrote: Ok, let me ask some dumb questions. I assume that timing  changes are done via flywheel position ( who sales keyways that would allow these changes.) Also ,does the PVL coils ( I assume this is what you called the mag)work with a stock flywheel or do I have to buy that too?

Kevin,

I assume that you're running an 820 pvl that replaces the old style coil. There shouldn't be any points, condenser etc. mounted on the stator (aluminum adjustable coil-pvl mount). You can use the stock flywheel unless someone replaced it in the past with the wrong rotation. That would be pretty rare.

If you have the flywheel off you can look at the three mounting slots to locate the position. When it's straight up the timing will be about 25-26 degrees. I just used a degree wheel to set two engines I assembled this week. I don't know what has been done to the engine but this should run just fine with either gas or alky.

I'm guessing that's where you have it set right now. You need to spin the engine up, with the spark plug out of the head. Ground the plug against the block while spinning it and you should get spark. I use a 1/2 inch electric impact wrench to spin mine. I'm thinking that you need 300-400 rpm to get spark. You can't spin it fast enough with you hand to get spark like a point/condenser system.

When you have the flywheel off check the flywheel key. If the point cam is still there a standard key will work. If it's missing buy key stock and make a full length key.

If you still have problems let me know.

Dick Teal

Messages In This Thread
PVL coil advice (820 Power Bee) - by Kevin Davis - 06-17-2018, 04:33 PM
RE: PVL coil advice (820 Power Bee) - by Dick Teal - 06-17-2018, 07:42 PM
RE: PVL coil advice (820 Power Bee) - by Tom Day - 06-27-2018, 07:12 AM