Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 146

After practice was over we were feeling good about tonight. In the pits checking everything over on the karts we were having to speak loudly. With engines around us running it was hard to hear, but I really wanted to let Steve and Chris know what we need to focus on during the first two heat races.

OK guys, so far our karts are set up good as we can get them. We dont have much of a chance against the Westbends, but should still have a fun race anyway. All during practice I worked everything out based on the 8 lap heat races. The engines are burning a lot more gas now but we should have enough to make the laps. So far the karts are handling and tires look good. Hopefully we do not have any problems.

After those 8 laps, there is no guarantee. I dont know what happens after that. If engines get too hot, well that isnt good. Or even worse. I dont need to tell you what that means. If we get lucky, make it thru all three 8 lap heats and go home without tearing too much stuff up tonight.

This whole afternoon we kept with the 8 lap practice sessions to set up the karts. So that is where we are tonight. Just dont get stupid out there and push your engine too hard too fast. Things will be a little bit different bunched together and running against all of the other guys in our class. But I dont think we have much to worry about.

Once the laps are run, try to shut it down soon as possible. We only brought one extra engine, and I dont want to use it unless completely necessary. Then only for the third heat race if one of us does need it. If we take it easy out there before and after the race, then I dont expect to have problems.

If someone does break, we wont have any time to run the engine in before the last heat, so all bets are off. What I am saying is just take it easy and we should be able to finish the night without tearing anything up. Well that is the plan, but dont have much control of that after the flag drops. The rest is up to you guys.

Me Steve and Chris, aka "Topher" as he is known by everyone out here at the track, are sitting on the tires of our karts waiting for tonights program to start. In the pits, we are discussing strategy. I was hoping what I said would keep Steve and Chris from pushing too hard during the first two heat races. All the marbles are on the third one. But securing a good starting position didnt hurt either.

At the time I didnt realize that some other people around us also heard our little discussion. 

Later at the drivers meeting I was not expecting what I heard really happened. But how could I plan for the unexpected? My reason for the little pep talk in the pits was to stay focused so we could have a good race. Also to pass the time so I didnt get all nervous. But didnt really think it would turn into something like this. The Westbend guys were pitted very close to us this evening. Only a few places over.

There are a lot of people here tonight racing, so pit space was at a premium and very limited. We had to pit where there was a space. Fortunately since working this morning we got the pick of pit spots. Unfortunately it is the same spot everyone else wants also.

The dad, well it is their grandfather, and usually the flagman, was wrenching on the two brothers karts. Chris thought this was odd, since they are normally taking it easy when racing out here. But tonight the dad seemed to be more focused on making the best out of their equipment.

The big surprise came when the race director told us of some changes for tonight at the drivers meeting. At the discretion of the board members, the final heat race would be extended to 12 full laps. Since there was such a good turnout tonight we just wanted to make it a more exciting race for everyone. The race director said this had been done in the past just to change things up from time to time.

He then turned the microphone over to Paul Fisher who was announcer and grid steward tonight. Paul went thru the usual spill about how the races are run and what the pit and corner worker flags are for. Then the microphone was passed once again.

Next up the flagman took time to explain the main flags and the importance of following them explicitly. After this meeting was finished they called for all of the new racers for a private meeting.

Originally we had still been considered newbies. Chris was a seasoned driver since he has been racing most of the summer before we ever showed up. Paul had just vouched for me and Steve. He was out here watching us today during our practice and informed the other board members we were more than qualified as drivers now to race without further restrictions.

There was only one person against us loosing out rookie status. It was the flagman. He was immediately over ruled by the rest of the board members after taking a vote on the complete list of the other new racers that met the requirements or restrictions set forth by the club. 

The flagman mentioned how poorly our driving skills were at the first race. He also stated there were rules for a reason and should be adhered to. This is when Paul spoke up and reminded everyone how the flagman always adjusted the rules at his discretion anytime he felt the need to do so.

Just like how he insisted tonights races would have extended laps in the final heat race. When the track was first built, the final heat race was usually longer, but had been changed to this current format shortly after. Since then, until tonight the races had all been only eight laps.

Paul also reminded the other board members how convenient that every time one of the flagmans kids(grandsons) got taken out of a heat race, it was always restarted. If there was any altercation on the track involving his kids, the other driver was always black flagged.

This was a private meeting outside just away from the pits. The flagman just stormed off as he was staring down Paul when leaving. Back in the pits, he went to work on his kids karts again. This is the first night I have seen him doing anything more than the usual gassing up between heat races.

FIRST HEAT RACE

On the start of our first heat race, Chris managed to jump right in the lead. Unfortunately he was on the outside right at the end of the longest straightaway. This is not a good place to be on that first lap. Especially going into that tight turn at the end of the straightaway.

The brothers had first row tonight which was not unusual. There had been some complaining about this. So a few times they had been inline with each other, instead of side by side. With everyone lined up the outside pole driver was looking over nodding to his brother. This happened to be when the green flag was waved. He missed the start only by a fraction, but Chris had anticipated for any opportunity or opening that showed itself.

Chris had been on the third row outside as his position drawn when registering. He was focused on the flagmans hand motions. After racing out here during the summer, he figured out when the flagman was going to drop the flag. The giveaway is when the front karts are lined up, he would point the rolled flag at them. Chris had come to the conclusion this was to let his two drivers know the flag was about to drop.

Chris had held back about a kart length on this lap, waiting to see if the flag would drop. When the flagman pointed the rolled flag at his drivers, Chris planted the gas down and launched on the start. He went high to miss slamming in to the back of the unknown kart in second row ahead of him. Unfortunately he didnt didnt get a good enough jump to pull ahead very far of the front row Westbend driver.

Both the Westbend brothers were side by side together leaving no room for Chris to pull back in, next to, or even behind. He was not far enough in front to cut them off and hold the lead. The only thing Chris could do was bail out and drive straight off the track. So he was out of the race no sooner than it started. That was the end of his first heat.

Man, that sure sux for him. I started a few rows back and just watched what happened. Since I was surrounded by unknowns, decided to play safe. I was boxed in so there was no hope of making a move of my own just yet. This got me to thinking back to our first race out here.

We had tried to work up a strategy that night, if it panned out, we would end up in a good position to make some early passes right at the start. But Steve decided he just wanted to feel things out and try to pass as many karts possible during the eight laps. Being newbies we had to start dead last every heat race anyway. He figured more laps was more fun than possibly getting a good start then knocked off the track even before the first turn.

So for our big return trip out here, for a split second, that is what was going thru my head. What brought me out of a daze, is realizing the other kart right behind Chris was Steve. He followed Chris right off the straightaway. A kart was right on his bumper, but with all of the smoke, I didnt realize who it was yet. I realized Chris had no where else to go  unless he was willing to stuff his nose in there. This would have likely caused a major pile up in the first turn.

Chris is usually a smart driver but not always predictable. Maybe more impulsive than anything else. He does not get too risky taking unnecessary chances or cause wrecks on purpose. But if there is a opening, he will put a nose in there and hold his line. With all of the trouble he had this afternoon adjusting to his upgraded kart, I didnt expect him to take this of a big gamble.

I figured either Steve also realized a little too late and had no where to go or maybe just so focused on sticking with Chris. I guess he did not realize right then Chris just took himself out of the race intentionally. Steve has been like a statue all day while practicing. Just making consistent laps. One right after another. So I thought it was odd for him to make a move like this. Especially on the start of the first heat race.

With all of the work done to our karts and engines, I had no problem holding my own with the Westbend brothers now. Even tho my engine is not as strong running as theirs, it is easy to hang with them. Using my head instead of a heavy foot, just wait until they screw up, then take advantage of the opening and stick my nose in making for a clean pass.

During practice, I managed to pull out of the pits behind one of them and get a feel for how my engine is performing. Since all three of us are running close to the same, what worked on my kart worked for Steve and Chris. With exception to the gear change on mine.

I also intentionally fell back a few times to find out if that distance could be closed back up. But making sure I did this on a different turn and not every lap. I was concerned the brothers dad(grandfather) might be timing one of us tonight. I was running a terrible lap time, while checking to find out how well I could run them down on different parts of the track.

At our first race, the brothers had been killing us at the end of the longest straight. But the rest of the track not so much of a problem. I would push really hard to make up time when they pulled ahead, then move inline to stay close as possible until the next turn. But now my engine was stronger and doing better on top speed. It might even be a closer race than I was expecting.

I felt comfortable any one of our karts could run with these guys on the tighter part during the race. Then maybe stuff our nose in on the shorter front straight. If we didnt get taken out by one of them trying to cut us off, it would be a drag race to the flagman when pulling on to the long straight.

Neither one of them should be able to get back around me so long as I dont make any mistakes. That is assuming I can keep the lead on the long straight into the next turn. My kart was handling very well and carries good speed coming out of the tight turn onto the long straight.

Both the brothers have some trouble negotiating this one turn for some reason. But soon as they straighten up, their karts are fast. They would be much faster if not always trying to fight for position between themselves. But because of this, it helps us out a bunch. I should pay more attention in this one turn during the race and watch to figure out what the deal is. They are having trouble carrying speed on the exit.

If I can make the pass on them here, then just keep driving a very defensive line. Changing my line to hold position does slow down the lap times a lot. But I dont care if the two Westbends are unable to get around my kart short of taking me out intentionally.

The first heat was mostly uneventful. I didnt do much but follow the Westbends. It would be useless to fight for position during either of the first two heats. My starting position would not benefit, unless I was able to move to the front row. I was willing to wait it out since the last heat was for the win, not just starting position for the final heat.

With Steve and Chris already out, it was easy enough to move thru the slower traffic and finish a distant third. The brothers mostly ran away with it in this heat. They had no one beating on their rear bumpers to cause them to slow down. Except for beating on each other.

There was one kid in the class that I was coming up behind. He was not slow like a lot of the others that dont race every week. But his kart was weaving side to side approaching every turn. I watched from a short distance behind for a lap so not to get taken out by him. This guy was not predictable at all. Watching him drive made me think about Franks unique driving style. The driver would brake early and right back on the gas too soon. Then let off fighting the kart to negotiate the turn.

There were several openings to make a pass, but his kart seemed like it got really wide when I approached to go around. Finally he went wide enough that left a big hole for me to pass without any problem. By this time, the Westbend brothers had gained some distance on me. I just layed back and took it easy for the remainder of the race. Even if I could run them down and close up the distance, it would serve no purpose.

When the first heat race was over, I pulled off and coasted up behind the other karts. When the checkered flag came out we were already moving thru lap traffic. So there was several of the lapped karts behind them and me when I took the checked flag. They were just stepping out of their karts when I stopped. After getting out of my kart, I looked behind to see who was driving the one kart that was so much trouble to pass. Man, was I in for a surprise.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5394]

It was not until I saw him remove his helmet did I realize....it was a girl driving. Holy cow a girl. No sooner do I see who is in the kart, Chris hands me the corner marshal flag and points to a corner out on the track. Hey Terry, you need to go. I will push your kart back to the pits. Now hurry up and get out there right now. Steve was already half way across the track on the way to his assigned corner tonight.

Attached Files
.jpg   Girl.jpg (Size: 175.81 KB / Downloads: 32)

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM