Vintage Karting Forum
Over 60 class structure - Printable Version

+- Vintage Karting Forum (https://www.vintagekartforum.com)
+-- Forum: Main forums (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Over 60 class structure (/showthread.php?tid=2276)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Over 60 class structure - ernie shores - 06-25-2018

(06-24-2018, 10:41 PM)steve welte Wrote: Tom you are pretty much correct. Make a change and you have people leave one class and go to another but you still have the same people. They just moved. So until we find another 30 people for all the events except for a couple exceptions, the problem of people in classes will just remain the same. 4.3 people per class. Cut classes = lose people. At best many classes get combined so there is pretty much always some one to run with.  By the way Shawn and I will be leaving  Mac 49 and Sportsman rear to leave the class for less experienced drivers or engines with less development, until people come back into those classes. For the remainder of the year we will probably be running C open rear with the Nagals. Or until everything is broken.

I take offense to your statement that karters running in classes you are leaving are less experienced or run engines with less development??? Karters ( including myself ) make CHOICES on karts and engines. 

Ernie

RE: Over 60 class structure - Tom Day - 06-25-2018

There are plenty of entries in the Yamaha classes. How many are guys over 60 running in them I don't know but if one of them was me I would go to a over 60 Yamaha class in a heartbeat. It would be safer and I would enjoy running with guys closer to my age. I do not think they should be combined with the present over 60 class. Make it separate and maybe run it with the current over 60 and score them separate like is being done with the Sportsman Sidewinder Mac and West Bends. There are small numbers in the current over 60 but leave it alone.

An over 60 Yamaha class Should be 79 or older karts, limited engine package and vintage tires.

RE: Over 60 class structure - ted johnson - 06-25-2018

I applaud Steve and Shawn vacating Mac 49 for newbies and less advanced engines. This is supposed to be VINTAGE. In days of yore, 80cc Mac was known as "Rookie Junior" and "Rookie Senior" and was mostly for beginners. In Florida, at least, the class got taken over by the more experienced karters. I remember being asked by a Longwood, FL kart shop owner to run his girlfriend's Rookie Sr. kart in the Venice, FL street race. Hell, the engine on her Hartman was fully prepared and blueprinted by a well known national guy, and cost as much as any open motor. It ran almost as well as a good Reed class '91! (Well, maybe that's an exaggeration) Anyhow, the true rookies got run over by the professionals and went back to barbequeing on weekends instead of going karting. Ted

RE: Over 60 class structure - David Luciani - 06-25-2018

ted,
i agree mc49 class should be left for newbes or at least guys running basically stock motors.
while it's complicated it is possible to build a stock appearing mc49 that hold it's own with much "bigger" motors.
running against these motors with a stock mc49 is frustrating to put it mildly.

while there isn't a guideline forbidding modifications the original intent of the mc49 class was stock motors.
when the class was first introduced it was wildly popular until the "legal" modified motors showed up.

the much faster mc49's created a modification war between the skilled builders.
that killed the fun vibe for those just wanting to run stock motors.
it took several years but now that class is pretty thin.

it would be nice to return the class to it's original intent.
a  stock mc49 motor for newbes and guys who want a mellower grid experience .

d Cool

RE: Over 60 class structure - ted johnson - 06-25-2018

A number of venues would allow a stock Mc5 with a thin ring piston and thin head gasket to run with the Mc49's. A stock '5 would've been eaten for lunch. Another issue with the '49's is which version? Earlier with the flatback carb, or later wit the "pretend" carb? TJ

RE: Over 60 class structure - steve welte - 06-25-2018

Not trying to offend anyone Ernie. Maybe I don't always state everything correctly. But the fact remains if we stay in the 2 classes there will be next to NO new entries. So some want to move in Yamaha's and I'm moving in something else. Who knows what that will be but I'm know I'm parking some really good karts to try to help those classes. Its' not cheap parking those karts and going to something else. I guess that may not be totally appreciated either.

RE: Over 60 class structure - Mike Morrall - 06-26-2018

(06-25-2018, 06:07 AM)ernie shores Wrote:
(06-24-2018, 10:41 PM)steve welte Wrote: Tom you are pretty much correct. Make a change and you have people leave one class and go to another but you still have the same people. They just moved. So until we find another 30 people for all the events except for a couple exceptions, the problem of people in classes will just remain the same. 4.3 people per class. Cut classes = lose people. At best many classes get combined so there is pretty much always some one to run with.  By the way Shawn and I will be leaving  Mac 49 and Sportsman rear to leave the class for less experienced drivers or engines with less development, until people come back into those classes. For the remainder of the year we will probably be running C open rear with the Nagals. Or until everything is broken.

I take offense to your statement that karters running in classes you are leaving are less experienced or run engines with less development??? Karters ( including myself ) make CHOICES on karts and engines. 

Ernie

I'm with you there Ernie. Frankly, the 49 class was not intended to have "more developed" motors. And the driver's experience level was not why it was created. - Mike Morrall Jr.

RE: Over 60 class structure - ted johnson - 06-26-2018

Mike, sorry to disagree, but 80cc Mac WAS originally created for the less experienced karter. It wasn't intended for expert drivers with $500 blueprinted engines. It did not take very long before the class was taken over by the hot shoes. I well remember in Florida at the IKF races when 80cc Mac was first being run that a lot of ladies and new drivers ran. Some of our better drivers came from the ranks of 80cc Mac. By the first time I ran the class, it was owned by expensive blueprinted engines and drivers who would've been at home in a 100cc Open class kart. I well remember the magazines and newsletters talking the class up as a great way to introduce new participants to karting. Heck, I even had an Adkins engine ready to put on a kart. I decided to sell the combo because I realized that I didn't belong in the class. TJ

RE: Over 60 class structure - Mike Morrall - 06-26-2018

I guess I should have been more clear... the most current vintage 49 class was what I was referring to. Not the original class.

RE: Over 60 class structure - ted johnson - 06-26-2018

Gotcha, Mike. Sorry for the rant. I do, however wish there were a strictly stock class for prospective newbies. Ted