Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mcculloch engine seal advise (swiped from f-book)
RIng Ding Piston Donnie
Do any of you guys put any kind of gasket sealer on the engine gaskets on your Macs?

Kelley Karting
 I don't just a little oil

Randy Gryczkowski
 I soak mine in Klotz overnight.

Douglas Rossing
 I use silicone on the case that bolts to the block

RIng Ding Piston Donnie
Ya I have a stuffer mount on my mc91 and I think it's leaking through the bolt.

Mark Story
 Do a pressure check on crank case.

RIng Ding Piston Donnie
How do I do that?

Doug Tenney

I use a 1/4" hose-barb fitting to replace the spark plug from local kart shop. I cut out thin (~0.050 thk) alum block off plates to cover exh port and carb mtg. I bought thick (1/8"?) rubber material from Azusa and cut out gaskets in the shapes of block off plates. Install rubber gaskets, block off plates AND the header/muffler AND the carb. (Including the header & carb allows you to use thin metal for block-off plates.) Pressurize through spark-plug fitting to 5 psi using hand-squeeze bulb or regulated air supply.

Steve Miller
Steve Miller yupp soak mine in two cycle mix ..i use a little copper seal on head gaskets ..
Eugene Paulus
 Oil on paper gaskets, Yamaha Bond or Honda bond on areas that usally find leaks , side cover mac bolts w/ Yam bond , and one of the bolts on the Mac intake likes to leak also.........

Dean Seavers
 bingo - same here.

Steve Welte
for the most part no sealer on paper gaskets. Now I have found that spraying your paper gaskets with copper coat keeps them nice and soft for a better seal. No they don't really stick to the metal. I have found that people that use silicone etc on the gaskets have more leaks that without.

RIng Ding Piston Donnie
 Sounds good. I tried to research this a few times but with the vintage kart forum down I'm not coming up with much.

Steve Welte
 use the newer forum Vintage Karting forum. Google it.
Randy Gryczkowski I do use a small amount of silicone (RTV) on the seals when I press them in. And also on the base of the sidecover boss (where the o-ring is). And the six side cover bolts (washers) and the upper lefthand intake manifold bolt (washer). I had one motor leak up thru the screw hole of the left coil leg. I could not find that leak until a dunked it in a pail of water while pressure testing. It was a bubble every 5 seconds or so!

Mike Berg
 I soak the gaskets in oil overnight then use a little copper coat.

RIng Ding Piston Donnie
 Just regular motor oil?

RIng Ding Piston
 Donnie And this stuff?

Billy Wycoff
Hondabond

Alan Lidke
 On all of my fiber gaskets I exclusively use a silicone grease (used with electronics). Put a dab between your thumb and forefinger and rub it into the gasket. The gasket doesn't stick, can be reused if necessary, and no sealer mess to clean up. Small films of RTV when pressing seals into place, nothing on head gaskets. If you need to seal a head gasket your mating surfaces need work.

David Luciani
 oil soak gaskets goop up screw hole for all intake connections exhaust and sideplate with silicone..best to always pressure test. leakdown over 5 minutes or so usually is ok. generally you're looking for massive leaks.if you're really concerned do a vacumn test also that'll catch a bad seal lip more often then a pressure test

Steve Calabrese
 I use permeated
On the outside of the seals, a small amount of silicone on the gaskets and bolts that hold the side cover. Never had a leak when pressure testing.

Steve Welte
 The reason I don't coat gaskets with sealers that stick or bond is 2 fold. 1 it's not necessay. 2 they are a mess to replace if you have to at the track and I have seen plenty of gaskets with with silicone move. Areas where gaskets aren't required get Honda/Yamaha bond (3 bond products) or a silicone product.
Dave L.