Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mcculloch crank bind how to fix (facebook swipe)
Dominic Salvato

What's the secret? Everytime I tighten the point housing to block on a McCulloch, the crank binds up. When I loosen it comes free again.

Dean Seavers
  What model? I know the later 100cc Macs used a rubber o-ring, but the earlier ones used a gasket between the housing and the block. The could be enough to cause binding if you're not using either. New crank bearings, I presume?

Dominic Salvato
The one's I'm having the problem with have the rubber o ring. Mc91 and Mc9

Dwain Parks
 Using a brass hammer,after tightening points housing, "bump" one end of the crank , then the other two or three times to "center" the crank in the bearings. Yes I know I'm a southern redneck back yard wrencher, but it works!

Dominic Salvato
 Thanks.

Dennis Turk
 Hi Dominic I have had this happen even on later Mc engines that used the O ring the. Problem is tolarances in the side cover and block machining. Remember by now these engines are a mix of parts. What I did was put a Mc 5 6 7 or 10 gasket as well as the O ring and that solved the problem. Another one is a bent crank shaft so check out the crank between centers using an indicator to check bearing journal run out.

Steve Welte
 You do not have the needle bearing seated far enough.

Steve O'Hara
Steve O'Hara Could be as simple as the flywheel side bearing is not fully seated. Pretty unlikely that the problem is on the PTO side unless you removed the bronze bushing. Did you take out the bronze bushing?

Dominic Salvato
 No....

Steve O'Hara
Steve O'Hara Remove the crank and flywheel side bearing from the side cover and check to verify the parts are clean and free of debris. Then reinstall the crank and bearing in the side cover and make sure the bearing fully seats in the pocket. Assemble the side cover/crank into the block again with no gasket or o-ring and then check the gap between the bronze bushing and the adjoining surface of the crank with a feeler gauge. Both the 91 and 9 models should have at least .015" space between the crank and the bronze bushing. If there is no clearance you can solve the problem with a gasket but that would be a work around beacuse those models do not need a gasket if you have all the correct parts.

Dominic Salvato
Worked like a charm...thanx guy's.
Dave L.