Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burnishing pictures
(02-19-2017, 11:29 AM)sam bennett Wrote: A few days ago I drove 1023 miles to pick up an Emmick Express on CL Pensacola. It had a Honda GX200 and was certainly destined for an ignominious death as a yard kart. It had particular value to me because it was the second kart my Dad bought for me in the Jr classes. 

The gas tank was very rough from outdoor salty air. Inside was old varnished gas. I'm excited to show the results because even I was shocked! It shows this process may be the most suitable method for restoring aluminum gas tanks. 

I had some concerns about side wall deformation and how well it would clean the inside. I also knew I'd have to manually keep the part rotating in the tub because its size. I filled the tank with pins which is necessary to give it enough weight to cycle in the tub. The gas tank weighed about 50lbs or more! The pins reinforce the tank which prevented side wall deformation. You can see how well it cleaned the inside.

So, if you have a tank this size or smaller it will fit in my machine. If you don't want to go all out on a mirror polish this may be the only other alternative.  It took about 2 hrs because rotation is very slow.

[Image: 32611370110_e0bb180ded_c.jpg]

[Image: 32867644911_33db4d919e_c.jpg]

[Image: 32867632771_e97dc4d8e9_c.jpg]

[Image: 32867633391_05ccb74462_c.jpg]

[Image: 32867632161_851b3ef0ff_c.jpg]

[Image: 32867629141_5a5ac963dd_c.jpg]
[Image: 32951703446_c40dff5d3d_c.jpg]

[Image: 32867635031_c4dcbeb77a_c.jpg]

Dear Sam:

I have seen your work and will consider having you do the blocks in the future for both my Mc 8 and mc93.

For now I have a harbor freight small one so I can do my own burnishing but would like to have a better quality machine in the future like yours. So if you don't mind could you tell me the machine you have? I have seen what you and what the machine can do and am amazed. 

Thanks!!

Vico
Vico......nice to see you signed up here.

As in all things ....it's not just what machine Sam uses....it's his skill and genius that turns these parts into
beauties .

Maybe Sam will give you some pointers on what it takes to do burnishing and remember there's more then one way to
do anything you set your mind to !
(02-20-2017, 02:03 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: Vico......nice to see you signed up here.

As in all things ....it's not just what machine Sam uses....it's his skill and genius that turns these parts into
beauties .

Maybe Sam will give you some pointers on what it takes to do burnishing and remember there's more then one way to
do anything you set your mind to !

Thanks randy for the encouraging words!
I'm excited to be here. I received my new 93 and am loving it!

Vico
Guys, thanks for the kind words..
I figured if there was any chance of ruining the tank, I might as well experiment on my own!

The machine is a 1968 Almco V3 made in Albert Lea Minnesota. Originally mine had timers and auto spray, but was missing too many parts to complete. I switched it over from 3-phase to single phase using a WEG variable frequency drive. If you've never heard of such sorcery, you should investigate these little devices!

Anyway. I don't know how long this link will work, but here is a picture of an Almco V3 and description.

http://www.vibratoryfinishing.com/v3.htm They want $3900 for this machine and then you have to buy the media. To fill with the proper amount of steel or porcelain you're looking at another $1200-$1500. Yikes!
Adjusted for times used + learning curve to get up to speed......most of us would be better off just sending
our gear to Sam .

Of course if you are in the business of manufacturing items.....that's another can or worms....Big Grin

Here's the agitator for reference :

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-21-2017, 07:08 AM)sam bennett Wrote: Guys, thanks for the kind words..
I figured if there was any chance of ruining the tank, I might as well experiment on my own!

The machine is a 1968 Almco V3 made in Albert Lea Minnesota. Originally mine had timers and auto spray, but was missing too many parts to complete. I switched it over from 3-phase to single phase using a WEG variable frequency drive. If you've never heard of such sorcery, you should investigate these little devices!

Anyway. I don't know how long this link will work, but here is a picture of an Almco  V3 and description.

http://www.vibratoryfinishing.com/v3.htm They want $3900 for this machine and then you have to buy the media. To fill with the proper amount of steel or porcelain you're looking at another $1200-$1500.  Yikes!

Sam: 

Thank you for the info. Maybe in the future I'll get one but for now you'll have my business! 

I need a decent size of parts done like rims, spindles, and my engines + a few engine accessories that I can't do.

Thanks again for the info!

Vico
Sam need your contact info it's not here Ken
Ken use Sam's email link in his profile or to contact any other member for that matter .

link : http://www.vintagekartforum.com/member.p...le&uid=167
I believe Sam's in Europe. He said he'll be back March 1st or 2nd. TJ
Hey guys. We got delayed in Bremen and have 3 free days off here. It looks like the 4th for return.