Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
copper gasket custom made
copper gasket custom manufacturer
Dave L.
Thanks, Big Dave. The gasket company is a close neighbor, so I sent him an email a minute ago with a description of the West Bend head gaskets to see if he's interested in providing them for 610/820 use. Since copper is the best heat conductor among common metals, it'd seem that a dead soft copper gasket would be the best material. We'll see what the company says. Ted
thanks for doing that Ted. I so the post on that on a Forum. I was wondering about the cost on small numbers. It wuld be nice to have so other sizes. we have no problem with the .032 and can still find the .022 copper but it would be nice to have .016 and .040 etc avail. Keep us informed.
Steve, the company is Copper Gaskets Unlimited. They're in Phoenix. The contact gentleman, Lani Visconti, asked if he could call me and talk. I had to go to get groceries, and told him to buzz me after 2 P.M.  today, if he could. With the Pro/E, I can model any gasket we might need and send him a CAD file in whichever format he chooses. We have Dave to thank if anything comes of this. I might even try and talk one of my local kart buddies into a trip up to the place if things work out. I'll let you know. I, for one, like the idea of copper VS aluminum gaskets, especially for a gas burner, because of the heat transfer. I'm already getting the 610 heads flat black anodized, as NASA studies prove that a black body radiates more heat than a natural colored one. Ted
(01-31-2017, 03:48 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Steve, the company is Copper Gaskets Unlimited. They're in Phoenix. The contact gentleman, Lani Visconti, asked if he could call me and talk. I had to go to get groceries, and told him to buzz me after 2 P.M.  today, if he could. With the Pro/E, I can model any gasket we might need and send him a CAD file in whichever format he chooses. We have Dave to thank if anything comes of this. I might even try and talk one of my local kart buddies into a trip up to the place if things work out. I'll let you know. I, for one, like the idea of copper VS aluminum gaskets, especially for a gas burner, because of the heat transfer. I'm already getting the 610 heads flat black anodized, as NASA studies prove that a black body radiates more heat than a natural colored one. Ted

Ted, my friend, I hope you do get something worked out with that guy.  You might even be able to pick-up a little extra income doing some CAD work for them.  Keep us posted.
Sterling, just tried his cell number, but no answer. I'm keepin' the phone close to me! Ted
O.K., here's the skinny. I just had a nice chat with Lani Visconti from Copper Gaskets Unlimited. Very nice fellow. I'm going to start out by sending him DXF CAD files of the 610 and 820 head gaskets. He cuts them on the CNC mill, meaning he can stack his sheet stock and cut five or so gaskets at a crack. Guys with Bonbright engines generally use .032 gaskets, as Dave decks the blocks to suit this thickness. I'm going to send the files in the next two or three days, and he'll tell us the cost per gasket. It sounds as though they'll be reasonable in price. We can figure from this what thicknesses we may need for our engines. If the idea works out, I can make CAD files of other gaskets for our vintage engines. Thanks to Dave Luciani for turning me onto this resource. Big Grin  Ted
Keep me posted Ted. More and more 820's are showing up at the door. One thing with copper when you can heat them cherry red and quench in water they can be made dead soft again and be reused over and over. that alone cuts the expense in the long run.
Will do, Steve. I've got to get in the shop and dig through a year's worth of Sonoran Desert dust to find a couple of the original gaskets to do the final measurement. It'll only take a minute once I dig them out of the box of Bender parts. I want to know how much larger the center hole is than the engine bore. The CAD model is done except tweaking the numbers, then a half hour to make the CAD drawing from the model, a PDF and DXF file. He stacks the copper sheet several thick and cuts them on the CNC mill. I plan to see what the cost of header gaskets would be. The ones I've been buying have been pretty steep. Ted
(02-03-2017, 08:48 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Will do, Steve. I've got to get in the shop and dig through a year's worth of Sonoran Desert dust to find a couple of the original gaskets to do the final measurement. It'll only take a minute once I dig them out of the box of Bender parts. I want to know how much larger the center hole is than the engine bore. The CAD model is done except tweaking the numbers, then a half hour to make the CAD drawing from the model, a PDF and DXF file. He stacks the copper sheet several thick and cuts them on the CNC mill. I plan to see what the cost of header gaskets would be. The ones I've been buying have been pretty steep. Ted

Check the post in "General" for a JPEG of the gasket, and for other info. I need feedback. Thanks. Ted