Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covico Orders at Rex Marine
Sent Mike an email on Saturday after I didn't hook up with him, since he was under the weather with the flu .

Said.....just ship my wheels. Mike ....done. Now it's Monday.....delivered !

The Covico's are perfect ! Polished, heavy duty SS, black dipped grip ....just what you want !

The dish is only 2.5 inches from the outside of the wheel and 12 inches (O.D) .edge to edge .

I don't know if these are era correct, but they'll make you restoration look good and for me just right for driving Big Grin .
Those boat Covico wheel is deeper than the original by just a bit, I believe.
That's right Dom......

Unless you want to purchase 200 wheels or more and pay extra .....this is the Covico you get from the Marine Outlets .

I've chatted with some in the know and I doubt you can get the old era correct "Covico"......maybe Mike Berg will have some reproduced *,  I know someone that can make them, but said he isn't going to make any for sale......that's all there is to it for the time being.

* Berg has an original Covico to measure, so that's as good as it will get for reproduction.

There are a limited number of K&P Bug* steering wheels for sale from John Woods, if you want a NOS Bug wheel they go for around $120.

* I have been told that even these reproductions aren't exact because of production methods used to form the bends .

Romero was looking at them at the Adams Event, I showed him the Speedway wheel on the Welte/Bug I was bringing
home . So it all comes down to what you want and are willing to pay for a nice steering wheel......finding Vintage parts that are really nice is not easy......

If you listen to someone like Jack Murray, then you can understand why his collection has the value it does.......

Tom Smith listening to Jack at Riverside....image .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-06-2017, 06:40 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: Sent Mike an email on Saturday after I didn't hook up with him, since he was under the weather with the flu .

Said.....just ship my wheels.  Mike ....done.    Now it's Monday.....delivered !

The Covico's are perfect !  Polished, heavy duty SS, black dipped grip ....just what you want !

The dish is only 2.5 inches from the outside of the wheel and 12 inches (O.D)  .edge to edge .

I don't know if these are era correct, but they'll make you restoration look good and for me just right for driving Big Grin .

glad you you got your wheel....I had a couple friends step up....I got mine,,don't tell whats his face,,,,lol... Angel

Mike Berg has the solution if they are no longer avail....but me I just think its the way whats his face does business...

gw
Gary ......glad to hear you got your Covico's .......the beat goes on....."Wheelin" and Dealin'" .....was looking forward to seeing you......oh well....in the end everything worked out, except for maybe your engine coming un-glued Sad !

Got my Welte/Bug, the Berg magazine collection, plastic fuel tanks, finned brake drums and a Bug hat to keep the
sprinkles off my head.....all in all a good event !

Tom D. and his sidekick Gary working on his slipper clutch....Rick Gifford  ( helmet ) over for a visit .

Jim D. and Kelley putting the trick gearbox back together .

Just back from P.O., and picked up my new Covico wheel for the Photon. It looks flawless. I'm also glad GW got the wheels he needed. Good bunch, these vintage karters!
Gotta get my blood drawn Monday, and I'll see Doc on the 20th. Wish me luck, I'd sure like to make Tucson in March..  Big Grin Ted
Dom had posted this original Alpha Mark 7 kart picture ......I think this is an early Covico for reference.....so in fact is there much difference except for the tubing diameter size ?

As GW mentioned ....some people like the larger diameter wheel*.....so it all comes down to era correct, grip and availability......they all pretty much look similar .

* Ooops didn't explain that right...but Gary explains it below Smile

(02-10-2017, 03:23 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: Dom had posted this original Alpha Mark 7 kart picture ......I think this is an early Covico for reference.....so in fact is there much difference except for the tubing diameter size ?

As GW mentioned ....some people like the larger diameter wheel.....so it all comes down to era correct, grip and availability......they all pretty much look similar .

no, not larger diameter wheel.. larger diameter griping area ... the black vinyl portion....hand grip..for larger hands..

gw
(02-10-2017, 05:05 PM)Gary Wlodarsky Wrote:
(02-10-2017, 03:23 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: Dom had posted this original Alpha Mark 7 kart picture ......I think this is an early Covico for reference.....so in fact is there much difference except for the tubing diameter size ?

As GW mentioned ....some people like the larger diameter wheel.....so it all comes down to era correct, grip and availability......they all pretty much look similar .

no, not larger diameter wheel.. larger diameter griping area ... the black vinyl portion....hand grip..for larger hands..

gw
Not only larger diameter grip, but much softer and stickier vinyl. Any fuzz that collects on the grip can be easily cleaned with GoJo hand cleaner. TJ
A brief update, still waiting for incoming wheels. I have I think 6 that are not spoken for out of this next group of 12" black. They should be about done. But as previously no communication is forthcoming on the order. It will happen eventually but not guessing on eta.